1988 Dodge Ramcharger Overheated

BILLTHEHULK
  • 1988 DODGE RAM
My truck over heated doing about 65mph so I came to a slow and pulled over. I got pushed off the highway and pulled into a parking lot.
I had enough coolant so I replaced the thermostat
Car still wouldn't kick over just made a c"CLICK" noise
waited a day and we thought it might be the starter so we replaced the starter charged the battery up and the car wouldn't kick over
the Fan and the pullys would move maybe a half inch everytime you tried to turn the key What could the problem be?
Monday, July 30th, 2007 AT 12:36 PM

DIPWEED23
Sounds like a terminal failure. It could be possible to loosen the engine back up for a while, but once it has seised up once, the chances of it being even OK ever again are slim to none.
A full engine overhaul or one from the junk yard is probably in order here.
Try moving the crank shaft by hand. Place a braker bar on the large bolt in the center of the crank pully and turn in the direction of normal operation. It should turn w/o too much force. If you can't get it to budge, it's a goner.
Friday, August 3rd, 2007 AT 12:34 AM
ROCKWOOD84
Yep sounds like the bearings in the motor got toasted. You can pull the oil pan and take the crank caps off one at a time and see if the bearings are blue. If their blue or scuffed the time for a rebuld or another motor.
Sunday, September 9th, 2007 AT 10:34 PM