REAR DUALLY DRUM REMOVAL

Dodge

timmie

July, 25, 2007 AT 6:01 PM

I have a 1981 dodge sportster class c motor home.
While bleeding the brakes the cylinder blew and brake fluid leaked out from the inner drum.
Iam trying to get that outer drum off. In some dually's you must remove the dust cover, cotter pin, and inner axle to remove the outer drum. I believe this is the case in my sittuation. However I cannot get this dust cover off. It has a " goats eye" protrusion in the molding, as if you were to turn in out. It has 8 bolts holding the " cap" on. It appears as though the " dust cover" and the " cap" are the same piece of steel. I have pounded and pulled and then repeated with more force. I need to know if this thing IS supposed to turn. Or if there is a trick to this. If the dust cover IS separate then it MAY turn. If it is not then the threated posts are in the way of it turning. Is the answer MORE FORCE. OR
Is this all wrong and Iam simpley held up by grooves in the outer drum from exesive wear. This vehicle has apox 70,000 miles and I have no idea when it has had service in the past.

billymac

January, 12, 2009 AT 4:25 AM

Remove the axle bolts pull the axle out take the big nuts off to remove the drum billymac

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy