96 AVENGER ES HAS ROUGH IDLE. WHAT SHOULD I CHECK?
April, 15, 2006 AT 1:39 AM
I have a '96 Dodge Avenger ES (6cyl/2.5 liter) with 140K miles. Recently it started idling roughly and backfiring lightly when accelerating from a stop. Here is a laundry list of issues:
1) Car idles roughly like one or two cylinders are missing slightly.
2) Car backfires lightly a few times when accelerating from a stop.
3) The car does not seem to have the same power at lower RPMs. I have to gas it until I hit 3,000 RPM, then the power seems to kick in.
4) Terrible gas mileage. I used to get around 300 miles per tank, now I'm lucky to get 220 miles.
5) There is a new distinctive high-speed whirring/ticking sound coming from the engine.
Unfortunately, it sounds expensive to me.
Here's what I've tried to resolve this problem, but still have the above issues.
1) Replaced spark plugs and ignition wires.
2) Cleaned metal points inside the distributor cap.
3) There are no check engine codes.
What are the next things I should check, clean, or replace?