1975 Other Dodge Models handfull of issues...I'm at a loss

• 1 POST
  • 1975 DODGE

1975 Other Dodge Models 6 cyl Automatic N/A miles

I have a 1975 conversion van, recently the volt gage(thing that tells me if the alternator is draining or charging) stopped working... There are 4 wires that connect to the alternator a big black one (14g?) A ground, and two 18g a yellow and a red... One of the smaller ones was disconnected and I reconnected it and the problem went away...

a day or so later the volt(thingy) stopped working again and I shut the van off to reconnect the wires. However they were still connected... And I was unable to get the van to turn over again. I had someone jump start my van and I got it started. I turned the lights on and they didn't brighten when I pushed the accellerator down like usual.

When I put the van into gear however... It died on me and wouldn't start again... The volt gauge thing is still not working...

I'm at a loss here and would really appreciate some sort of input before I take it to a mechanic and spend oogles of money... Not to mention I live in the van and would have to rough it for a few days(weeks) until the mechanic was able to solve the issue

Saturday, June 27th, 2009 AT 4:10 AM

Get the battery and alternator load tested

Saturday, June 27th, 2009 AT 4:40 AM