Overheating badly

DRAGWIZ
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
Ok I have a 2005 dodge neon 77,000 plus miles. Recently it has been running hot. All the fluid levels are good, but the temperature gage goes to the red and a warning signal comes on. I can turn the heat on and it would come back down. It has done this for a few weeks. Today I started to work, and only got about 10 miles when it happened again, only this time it would not cool down. I ran 20mph back home with the temperature gage near overheating. I popped the hood and you could here the coolant boiling, the reservoir was over full. I turned the car off and went inside for a few hours to let it cool.

I went back out and the reservoir was empty. I popped the radiator cap, and could see a rust colored fluid. I started the car to see if the fluids were circulating, after about 5 minutes, it shot about a half gallon of fluid out of the car from where the radiator cap goes before I could turn the engine off. I then refilled the radiator to normal level put the cap back on and headed down the street to test it. Going just 20mph after to blocks the warning signal came on and the temperature gage went all the way to the top. I stopped and checked the level in the reservoir it was empty, with the car running I filled the reservoir to its normal hot level, and headed back home. After I got home, and shut the engine off you could hear it bubbling, but no fluid came out of the reservoir, and it was at the full hot mark.

After going out a little while later to check the car, the reservoir was empty again after the car cooled back off, so I filled it to the full mark, and went for another test drive. The car did do a little better, it went above the normal operating temperature, but the warning signal did not come on, that was driving at 60mph without air conditioning. On the way back I had the AC on, it did ok until I stopped for a turn then it spiked warning signal came on. Shortly after returning to about 20mph the temp came down and the warning signal stopped, when I arrived back home, the temp was at normal, and I checked the reservoir for coolant level, it was where it was when I filled it last.

I am hoping this was an issue due to low coolant levels, not a blown head gasket? I will post more as I check the car later today.

What is going on with this car, all the hoses look new no wear or damage, the coolant level is normal, why is my car overheating?
Monday, June 15th, 2009 AT 11:25 AM

Is the electric cooling fan turning on?

The AC takes heat from inside the car and dissipates it in front of the radiator so it's going to overheat easier.

This guide can help

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-overheating-or-running-hot

Sounds like a leaking head gasket, but if it runs at normal temperature on the highway, suspect a fan issue.

caradiodoc
+3
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 7:27 PM
DRAGWIZ
Yes the cooling fans are turning on. It did ok for about a week driving with no A/C on, the temp gauge stayed close to the 3/4 mark. Hot but not overheating. Yesterday I drove it with the A/C on and the alarm came on while I was going up hill, and the gauge went all the way to the top HOT, however I rolled the windows down, and turned the heat on to get the heat off the engine, and it cooled back down just below the 3/4 mark on the temperature gauge, and I made it home, all the fluid levels were normal. Even the next day when I checked after it cooled down they were normal.

Could it be the thermostat sticking?

A head gasket is a serious repair, and big dollars!
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 11:18 AM
Three things come to mind. The first is rotted cooling fins on the radiator. When this happened on my '88 Grand Caravan, it would run hotter than normal at higher than 60 degrees outside temperature and 60 mph. A year later it would run hot on the highway as low as 35 degrees outside temperature. Your car is too new to have this problem, but check for lots of bugs in the cooling fins or other blockage.

The next thing is a worn, broken, or slipping water pump impeller. This is real common on Volkswagens, but I've never heard of it on Chrysler products.

The third thing is the head gasket. Combustion gases entering the cooling system will cause the thermostat to close. Thermostats only respond to hot liquid, not hot air. That's why air bubbles must be bled out before the coolant will circulate. Most repair shops have a "leak sniffer" to test for combustion gases in the cooling system. Air is drawn from the radiator through a special blue liquid. If gases are present, the liquid will turn bright yellow. This test only takes a few minutes and is a dandy place to start.

+1
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 1:23 PM
TIMVOGEL
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
Is there anyone who may have a suggestion as to what the issue could be?

Monday, October 29th, 2018 AT 10:59 AM (Merged)
Try replacing the thermostat for a start-could be completely closed-
BERGELCUT
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
My wifes 2005 neon overheats when she drives over 30 miles. She went through two and a half 5 gal jugs of antifreeze in less than two weeks. Whats the prob. And the best alternative
BLUELIGHTNIN6
http://www.2carpros.com/first_things/engine_over_heats.htm
2005 DODGE NEON
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
My 2005 dodge neon is over heating on me I go in to town fine and when I come back it is in the red and I have to let it sit tell it cools down and when it is cooled down there is no fluids in it and I pot some in it and it don't over heat tell a few days later what could it be
Do you check the coolant level, everyday? Are there any external coolant leaks? Does the radiator fan work? Check thermostat, check for a gasket issue.
2005 DODGE NEON
It don't look like there is a leak and it looks relly durty in where I poor the fluids in at could it be just dirtying the fans work and how do I tell if it is my head gasket
Try a cylinder compression test. If you dont have external leak, then it may be internal? They can test for combustion gases in the coolant.
2005 DODGE NEON
Ok I will try that and I will see what happens thank you
Hope you get it going your way.
2005 DODGE NEON
Ya me to
GCABELLO2394
  • 2004 DODGE NEON
My 2004 dodge neon keeps overheating, the radiator is new, I changed the thermostat, the radiator fans were not working but are now working normally (they were not connected at 1st) I did a coolant flush and re-added coolant No leakage. I will say that the 1st time it over heated I drove it for about 10 min while it was all the way to "H" I'm trying to fix and sell this car please help
Monday, October 29th, 2018 AT 11:06 AM (Merged)
It sounds like you replaced everything. Are you sure it is overheating or could it just be a false reading on the temp gauge? Also, have you checked it for a bad head gasket?
GCABELLO2394
I have not checked it for a bad head gasket ill be sure to do tgat and ill keep you updated, how would I know of it is the temp gauge? I am thankful for your help
GCABELLO2394
I took off the radiator cap this morning and I let the car run for 30 min im not sure if the coolant is supposed to be flowing to the radiator with the cap off but it wasnt flowing. While the radiator cap was off I checked the temp gauge and it was at normal temp. And it never went up, then the coolant started to come out squirting im guessing because the thermostat opened? I dont know but after that I turned off the car and I put the radiator cap on and turned it back on I took it for a ride and within 30 sec. The temp gauge was a little bit bellow "H" Are the hose going to the radiator supposed to be burning hot?
I am concerned that it was squirting coolant. When the T-stat opens, you should see it flowing through the radiator. It could change level in the radiator and some spill out, but I've never seen it squirt out unless the radiator was under pressure and then you removed the cap. Something is telling me compressed air is getting into the radiator via a bad head gasket. As far as the hoses getting hot, yes the top one will usually be hotter than the lower one. But, they both normally will get hot.
GCABELLO2394
So yes the problem will most likely be the head gasket my question now is do I have to get the whole head gasket kit? Or can I just switch out the head gasket by itself? Im trying to sell this car and this mechanic toldme just to take off the thermostat but I want to sell a good clean car. Whats the cost of changing the head gasket at a local repair shop? Or would I be able to worl on this my self? How long would it take on both options? Oh and also anitfreeze is leaking from the muffler? Is that normal? Thank you