2004 Dodge Neon Car stalled in the middle of the road

ZORROCOM
  • 2004 DODGE NEON
After ten minutes it restarted again. I took it home and hooked up the code reader. The following codes came up: 0340 ( crank position sensor)
0335 (camshaft position sensor)
0129 (barometric pressure out-of-range, and I did not know if this is a sensor or not or where to lacate it)
I changed the crank position and camshaft sensors, and cleared the faults code. The engine did not start and after cranking for a minute the check engine light came up again and the same codes popped again. Please advise
Thursday, January 15th, 2009 AT 7:34 PM

IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you is your model a RT, SE, or SXT and I know you have a 2.0L engine but please tell me the 8th digit of your VIN.

We need to figure out if it is electrical or fuel related. Pull a plug wire off of the spark plug and insert something into the end of it and have someone try to start the car and have the metal object really close to a piece of metal on the engine and see if you are getting a good strong popping blue spark. Don't have your hands on any part of the metal! If there is no spark, then it is electrical.

If you are getting good spark then spray some starting fluid in the throttle body and try to start it and see if it tries to start then.

You may need to get a fuel pressure check on the fuel pump to ensure it is putting out okay. We will see.
Thursday, January 15th, 2009 AT 11:02 PM
ZORROCOM
I checked for spark following your instructions but no spark detected.
I unplugged two spark plugs to check if they were fouled up with fuel - but they were dry- Although I can hear the pump working when I turn on the ignition.
The car model is CSX as per the car licence (may be because it's a canadian model)
The vin # : 1B3ES46C54D632906
Thanks for your help
Saturday, January 17th, 2009 AT 9:26 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Since you don't have a spark at the plugs....I have attached the troubleshooting chart for this. I had to overlap to make it big enough for you to see.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_2_109.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_3_76.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_4_50.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_5_33.jpg

There was also a tip attached to this to keep in mind.

Some vehicles may exhibit a no spark or weak spark condition. This could be caused by low voltage output from the Intelligent Power Distribution Module(IPDM).Check voltage at the white/blue wire at any of the individual coil connectors. Battery voltage should be available. A one volt drop or greater could cause a no spark/weak spark condition. Jump battery power with a fused jumper to white/blue wire and attempt to start engine, if engine starts, replace IPDM. It is a fairly inexpensive part and easily replaced.

Next, if it is drivable, please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery and alternator.

What may also be helpful, please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and use their tool check out program to get a scanner to check the codes for your car. Most important: Once you check your codes, if you find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that.
Sunday, January 18th, 2009 AT 12:14 AM
ZORROCOM
Where is the (IPDM) located in the engine compartment !
Sunday, January 18th, 2009 AT 9:31 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

I am having trouble locating it in the tech manual.I am contacting another moderator for assistance.

Sorry - we will get back to you.
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 5:24 PM
ZORROCOM
I took out the spark plug wires and the ignition coil and installed them in another neon car - the car started w/out any problem eliminating the doubt that they may be the source of the problem.
I followed the next step and checked for the blu/wht wire at connector with ignition coil, there are three wires one is blk/wht the second is grn/org the third is blue/tan. I got a helper to start and put the ignition on while I connected a voltmeter the red probe to the blue wire and the blk probe to the battery neg (-)but no voltage detected. I cranked start the engine - also no voltage - I connected directly between the Battery (+) and the blue wire with a fused jumper- still no ignition. Please advise
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 2:17 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

You should have voltage on the DarkBlu/Tan and the Blk/Gry. The DK Green/Orange will only have voltage out off the coil.

Check the following fuses at the dash. Fuses 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11.

Check fuse 21 at the power distribution center left front of engine.

When checking please make sure you are using an ohm meter to ensure they are good.

Please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and use their tool check out program and pick up a code scanner to pull the codes on the car. Most important: Once you check your codes, if you find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that.

I have attached a pic of the crankshaft position sensor plug.....please check to see if there is 5 volts at pin 1.

Let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Crankshaft_Sensor_Plug_1.jpg

Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 11:36 PM
ZORROCOM
1) I have redone the voltage check at the blue wire going to distributor using a voltmeter where the pos (+) probe connected to battery POS and the neg (-) probe connected to blue wire - Battery voltage 11.8 volt. Reading at blue wire 10.4 volts.
2) Voltage check at CrankPS with pos(+) probe to pin1 and neg to gnd - voltage reads 0.64 volts
3) all fuses checked with ohm meter read OK
Please advise and thanks for your help
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 2:57 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

I am sorry for the inconvenience.I have had something urgent come up and will not be able to advise at this time. No worries though.I just sent your post to two other outstanding moderators that will be in contact with you in no time.

So please stand by and again. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 10:16 PM
JAMES W.
Hello, I, and another moderator, are going to try to fill in for impalaSS while he's out. He's a tough act to follow, but we'll try. I've read your posts and have a couple questions so bear with me.
Do you have injector pulse? You can check this with a regular "incandescent" test light at the injector plug and cranking the engine. Or, you can use a unit called a "noid light" which is a zenon lamp that plugs into the injector connector. Most people don't have a set of these sitting on the shelf in the garage, but you may be able to borrow one from Autozone or another parts store. If you can get us that info, it will help narrow it down. Also, if you can check your fuel pressure wile cranking. You may hear the pump run for a few seconds when you turn the key to on, but it may not be running in crank position. My first thought is the ECM may have gone "belly up", but let's not blame it just yet. Please advise.
Thursday, January 22nd, 2009 AT 12:13 AM
ZORROCOM
Hello there and thanks for stepping in.
1) I disconnected the gas line, and there is a powerfull surge when I put the ignition on.
2) I couldn't get a tester as I am not in an area where that type of facility is available.
3) I checked for spark again but there was none.
Please advise
Thursday, January 22nd, 2009 AT 4:20 PM
ZORROCOM
I havn't heard back from you. If it is thw ECM that needs to be replaced, please advise if this part is interchangeable between the Neons or any other Dodge cars. Thanks
Saturday, January 24th, 2009 AT 8:01 PM
JAMES W.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I had harddrive problems with my computer and had to reload everything into a new drive. We have a tremendous amount of information at our finger tips, but unfortunately, interchange is not part of it. So I can't tell you what will match your computer. If you have a salvage/recycling yard in your area, the would be able to tell you. I am going to research your ignition system and see what I can find. I'll get back to you yet today.
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 12:25 PM
ZORROCOM
Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate any information that helps put this car back on the road.
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 7:59 PM
ZORROCOM
I got a refurbished computer flashed with the same version of my original piece. I installed it and as a precaution I took the voltage reading at blue wire going to the ignition module - the reading was the same as before. I tried to restart but it did not start. One thing that happened is that on the odometer where the mileage is displayed the word FUSE appeared for few seconds instead of the mileage. Please advise
Thursday, February 5th, 2009 AT 3:04 PM
ZORROCOM
Just for the record. The PCM needed to be reflashed with vin #. It was not an easy job as most dealers have only the hand help type of the DRBIII, which is the system needed to reflash the PCM in the Dodge cars. This means that the replacement PCM must be installed on the car then the car must be towed.
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 10:27 PM