2003 Dodge Neon Flush

GLATIN26
  • 2003 DODGE NEON
How can I flush out my transmission by my self?What are the steps?
Wednesday, April 1st, 2009 AT 9:45 AM

Step 1: Drive to the dealership or transmission shop.
Step 2: Pay the bill.

The only thing you can do yourself is drop the pan and replace the filter. That will remove about 1/3 of the fluid. You won't be able to remove the fluid in the passages, clutches, or torque converter. The pan surfaces must be perfectly dry of fluid before you reseal it with RTV sealer. Any hint of transmission fluid residue and most sealers won't completely seal and you'll have a leak. Your Dodge dealer has the best RTV sealer. Get the gray stuff. It is more forgiving if there is a little transmission fluid on the sealing surfaces.

When sealing the pan, apply the bead of sealer to it, not the transmission because the pan will remain clean and dry. Just before you stick the pan onto the transmission, wipe the tranny's sealing surface with brake parts cleaner on a rag, then put the pan on right away before any fluid runs down.

If you buy the professional service, they will install a can of cleaner that dissolves varnish buildup. After circulating the cleaner, they'll connect a flushing machine to the cooler hoses. The machine will inject the same amount of fluid as it draws out. This is done with the engine running so the transmission's oil pump will push the old fluid out of the torque converter and clutches.

Some shops will add a seal conditioner to the fluid. When they're, they will warranty their work.

-1
Thursday, April 2nd, 2009 AT 6:58 PM