HARD TO START WHEN COLD.

2002 Dodge Neon

knapps

September, 14, 2007 AT 10:15 AM

Hey guys,
2002 Chrysler Neon
2.0L SOHC engine
65,000 KM
Auto transmission

Occasionally, when the car has been sitting overnight, it will take 5-6 attempts to start. Meaning that, I start it, it cranks 5 times, I shut it off, try it again, cranks 5 times, etc. Repeated 5-6 times before it starts. Sometimes, will start on the first attempt, but stalls right away. And then is hard to start.

Once it starts, runs ok.

After a 10 minute drive or so, re-starting is no problem.

Coincidentally - right when this started - my gas mileage dipped to 25 MPG from the usual 32 MPG.

My local dealer has advised that the battery has failed the load test and needs replacing. I am no expert by any means, but, it turns over fine, just has a hard time starting. Seeking a 2nd opinion here.

Appreciate any thoughts you guys could offer.

TIA,
Knapps

1991 Hard To Start

Engine Does Not Stay Running

Jack42

September, 15, 2007 AT 8:10 AM

Not that it has anything to do with the problem, but the car is 5yrs old, the battery is or should be just about done by now.I would start with a fuel pressure test to see if the pump is bleeding all pressure down overnight, this would cause a condition where you would have excessive cranking in the AM

Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe