2001 Dodge Neon Sometimes hard to start

AMANAMAN1
  • 2001 DODGE NEON
2001 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 134K miles

Sometimes has to crank several times (2-3 tries) before it will start. Usually does it only after sitting for a while. Doesn't do it all the time though. After it starts it runs fine with no codes. Has new plugs and wires and battery. Sound like fuel pump or regulator starting to go? I believe this model has regulator and filter as part of the pump, is that correct? I can change the pump no problem, just wanted your opinion first. Also, what is the proper fuel pressure on this vehicle at the rail?

Hard to pinpoint the problem when it is intermittent and runs fine otherwise, I know. Anything else come to mind that I should look at?

Saturday, September 4th, 2010 AT 7:26 PM

Hi amanaman1, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Fuel pressure is 53-63 psi lower than this could be an injector/s and fuel pressure regulator leaking also test the engine coolant temperature sensor-
Sunday, September 5th, 2010 AT 2:05 PM
AMANAMAN1
Ok, thanks for the reply. Daughter finally brought the car over and let it sit for a while. I checked pressure at the rail after it sat. Was zero. Turned on key to energize fuel pump and did not hear pump and had no pressure. Turned key off and back on and pump pressurized to 60 psi and then car started fine. Turned off car and watched pressure rapidly drop to 5 psi within 30 seconds. Cranked engine and pressure came back up to 60 and then car started. Turned off car and pressure dropped rapidly again to 0. Sounds like a fuel pump to me but how would one check for a leaking injector(s)?

Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 6:58 PM
Check the fuel pressure regulator could be ruptured located on top of fuel pump module-if okay To check the injectors you have to remove the fuel rail along with the injector intact
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 7:30 PM
AMANAMAN1
Ok, so remove the rail w/injectors intact and let the pump pressurize the rail without cranking the engine and see if any injectors leak fuel through? Is that how I'd do it?
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 7:42 PM
Yes sir
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 7:43 PM
AMANAMAN1
Ok. I'll check that first but I have a feeling I'll be dropping another fuel tank in the very near future. Thanks again.
+1
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 7:53 PM