2001 Dodge Neon no start

CHVYL
  • 2001 DODGE NEON
2001 dodge neon will not turn over when the key is turned. No sound. Replaced the alt and the starter not because I thought this was the problem, but because I wanted to be sure my child doesnt have to worry about these things in a short time. I also replaced every fuse and relay in the car, they were all good except one that says P/ out fuse #14 20 amp. I'm not sure what the P./ Out means but I replaced the fuse and it has not blown again. I've checked every wire for continuity and for power thats in the entire car. When the key switch is turned on the fuel guage goes up, the batt light comes on the ABS light comes on but I do not hear the fuel pump. Then as you turn the key to the start position the lights go out just as they would if you were to start the car but there is nothing. No click no nothing. The ignition switch was my first thought so I replaced it, no the problem. Then I thought the neutral safety switch and replaced it also, although I didnt think it was the problem because it wouldnt stop the fuel pump from running. Every wire in this car has been tested and is fine, I replace the fusable link at the starter because it looked like it had partially melted but after I got it out it looked fine.I put a new one in anyway. This car has had the power train control module replaced in it about 2 months ago and I'm wondering if it could be the cause of this no start/ no turn over problem. When trying to start it the lights do not dim and the fuel guage does not fluctuate. Please help me
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 AT 12:54 PM

Hello, do you think there might be a problem with the theft system?

You should be able to get the starter to crank by using a jumper at the starter relay. There are safety issues using that jumper, make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set. It wouldn't hurt to have somebody with their foot on the brake. Turn the key to on position, use the jumper to crank it, see if the vehicle will start and run?

Did you check the voltage circuits going to the starter relay? The voltage for the switch side of relay, should be hot all the time. The voltage for the coil side of relay, should go hot with the key in the crank position.

Are there any codes? I can't help you with the theft system. I just wanted to add if it starts with the jumper, remove the jumper.
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 AT 2:55 PM
CHVYL
Yes I put the jumper in and it cranks over but as I said. The fuel pump does not come on. There is no theft system in this car.I have power everywhere there is supposed to have power except when the key is put in the start position. In the start position the starter should turn over, the fuel pump should come on, and the coil should be fired by the PCM all of which is not happening.I guess I'm really just trying to find someone to say yes it's powertrain control module, I've pretty much eliminated everything else.
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 AT 4:09 PM
I can't hear any fuel pump run, with the starter cranking. I have to put a gage on it. The database I looked at showed a theft system for this vehicle. The databases are not always correct. The info shows the pcm grounds the coil side of starter relay. I'm not sure why the pcm would have any control over the starter circuit unless there was a theft issue? I thought you had already replaced the pcm recently? Well, goodluck
Thursday, July 9th, 2009 AT 9:13 AM