2000 DODGE NEON ROUGH RUNNING

• BruceBaker
  • 2000 Dodge Neon

Engine problem
2000 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

The car has been running rough up hill and idles rough sparacticly. Note: The car has a three speed automatic trans with a lock up converter, a 2.0L 16valve engine, single over head cam.
I have replaced the PCV valve, the spark plugs, the spark plug wires. The car had been sitting for 2weeks. I replaced the battery and started it up, I heard a lot of clanking noises in the engine for a minute or two. Sometimes sitting in the driveway if I hit the gas to rev the engine I will hear the clanking for a second or two. Maybe bad lifters? Does this car have hydrollic lifters? Note: I am having trouble locating the EGR valve? I took it for a test drive and drove it hard (keeping it in low gear to clean out any carbon build up in the cylinders). It seam to run more smoothly after a lot of hi rev driving. I then started driving it in the normal gears, It even had much better power going up hills in regular gears. After driving it home, I stopped and it died. I could not restart it (it would crank but not start). I opened the hood, it started after a few minutes.

Saturday, February 2nd, 2008 AT 5:29 PM