Replacement of power steering serpentine belt

MGRYAN@WINDSTREAM.NET
  • 2000 DODGE NEON
Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic 140,000 miles.

I need to change the serpentine belt for the power steering, A/C and it appears impossible? I have been able to 'back off' the spring loaded tension-er with a wrench or pry bar with other cars to allow removal/replacement, but this one refuses to move more than a half an inch before the upper section (where the tab' is) begins hitting the power steering pulley.

How is this one done?
Saturday, January 16th, 2010 AT 4:33 PM

RACEFAN966
Have you tried going the other direction with it? From what I can tell it looks like that is how it works.
Saturday, January 16th, 2010 AT 7:32 PM
MGRYAN@WINDSTREAM.NET
If the belt tension-er is moved the opposite direction it only applies more pressure to the belt. There must be something wrong with the tension-er alignment if the standard procedure is to back it off to allow changing of the belt. Is that what the service manual says to do? If so do I need to remove the belt and replace the tension-er? If so, what is the procedure to do that?
-1
Tuesday, January 19th, 2010 AT 8:35 AM
RACEFAN966
Here is what it shows:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_20090912_192254_25_1.jpg

+9
Tuesday, January 19th, 2010 AT 8:45 PM
MGRYAN@WINDSTREAM.NET
The diagram you sent is what I assumed. But could not accomplish due to the tension-er hitting the power steering belt pulley as I attempted to back it off. The tension-er is too close to the engine to clear the pulley.
Next question, Should I remove the tension-er to replace it, shim it out? Or is it better to simply adjust the placement of the pulley on the power steering?
-1
Wednesday, January 20th, 2010 AT 1:04 PM
RACEFAN966
Okay, when you have the tension-er as far it will go can you get the belt off the tension-er sense there is no lip on it? If so then that is how you will remove the belt. Do not shim anything as this will put the belt out of alignment and you will go through belts.
+1
Thursday, January 21st, 2010 AT 10:22 AM