2000 DODGE NEON CAR ONLY STARTS WITH CAMSHAFT SENSOR UNPLUG

• military mike
  • 2000 Dodge Neon

2000 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 155000 miles

Okay any help would be appreciated, problem is car will not start if camshaft sensor IS plugged in. If I unplug the sensor it will run and run pretty good.I have already replaced the cam sensor, crankshaft sensor, knock sensor, and the PCM. No diagnostic codes come up except the cam code, but thats because it is unplugged. There appears to be a little oil in the intake manifold. No dealers no what is wrong with it. If one of the certified mechanics helps and it actually works I will donate at least $40. II and everybody I know are completly stumped. PLEASE someone HELP!

Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 11:24 PM

• morticar

This is a toughie! After replacing all those parts and still having a problem I would say you have a electrical problem in the wiring harness. Pull back the tape and covering especially right there where the wiring comes out of the harness that goes to the camshaft sensor. Neons are bad for worn open wires in that part of the harness. You may have a burned or worn wire causing the car to run when disconnected then once plugged in it shorts out making not able to start. Also check the plug going into the camshaft sensor for damages as well. Make sure there are no prongs damaged or any problems that could cause a short as well. My best guess is you have a wiring problem. Hope this gets you in the right direction. MORT

Saturday, December 13th, 2008 AT 1:48 PM
  • military mike

Thanks for the reply, there is some messed up looking wiring near the sensor and looks like the previous owner might of done something to the wires around the area, im going to try and see if I can find a whole new wiring harness at a junkyard

Monday, December 15th, 2008 AT 12:18 AM
  • morticar

Make sure you get the right year harness because the fuel injection plugs and some of the transmission plugs wil be different from year to year. Goodluck! Glad I could help out.

Monday, December 15th, 2008 AT 8:16 PM
  • BMRFIXIT

I would check timing belt and marks
also use a scanner and check data
looking for if the cam and crank in SYNC
See if crank and came is out of SYNC
PCM will not open the injectors or will flood the engine
when CAM sensor is disconnected the PCM will go in to limp mode
allowing engine to start

when Disconnecting the CAM sensor and engine start believe it or not that is a sign of the CAM and Crank sensor are in a good condition and working fine

check that timing we have seen it and fix it many times over and over
good luck

let me know
JACK O

CHECK TIMING BELT

Monday, December 15th, 2008 AT 9:37 PM
  • military mike

Timing is one thing I havent checked because its a pain in the with aneon. I pretty much checked all those other things, but how do u check if cam and crank are in snyc? Cause I was thinking that and my buddy told me that all u do is unplug battery for awhile and have ignition on, then turn ignition off, hook battery back up, turn key three times, wait bout' 15 minutes then without turning key off try to start, but it did seem tto do anything, he said it relearns itself, is that right thanks

Friday, December 19th, 2008 AT 12:40 AM
  • BMRFIXIT

Timing is the problem in this case
to check if cam and crank are in SYNC
I use a scanner tool
simple hooking up the scanner to OBDII
read data look for the cam and crank if in sync

it not a matter of reprogramming or relearning

Friday, December 19th, 2008 AT 6:02 PM