1999 Dodge Neon Car won't start periodically-HELP!

WILLCUTHBERTSON
  • 1999 DODGE NEON
In the past two months I have replaced the battery, battery cables, and the starter. The fuel pump is supposedly only a year old. I had that fixed on the road and was overcharged so I don't know if that relates. Sometimes when I go to start the car, and this has only happened during cooler, but not cold temperatures, it just clicks. There is no sound other than a loud single click. Again, the starter, battery cable, and battery are all new. And this problem persists for days at a time or just a couple of hours, and then won't happen again for weeks. Jumping the car has no effect. Also, the check engine light doesn't come on when this happens, and I know that light works. There is also no diminished power from any of the lights, both interior or exterior when this occurs. Clearly there is something between the key hole and engine that is going in and out of place. Does anyone have any ideas?
Friday, September 5th, 2008 AT 5:01 PM

Okay get a helper to hold key in the cranking position -look for power at the brown wire on the starter do you have it. What were doing is checking whether power is actually being transfered from the ignition switch thru the park and neutral switch and starter relay-you don't have power at the starter brown wire points to one of these components.

Make sure fuse no.11 30amp is not blown.
Friday, September 5th, 2008 AT 5:52 PM