1996 Dodge Neon "Flame outs"

STRAMPP
  • 1996 DODGE NEON
My Neon engine frequently dies when driving at low speeds when I take my foot off the gas pedal. Engine revs drop to about 900 RPM and sometimes it just dies. I am getting good at throughing it neutal, restarting the engine and continuing along without actually stopping. But in traffic this is a pain in the neck.

A friend said I should replace the throttle body?
Wednesday, December 31st, 2008 AT 2:35 AM

BMRFIXIT
Check for vacuum leaks
check it for tune up
clean throttle body
check, clean and or replace idle air control valve
Wednesday, December 31st, 2008 AT 6:52 AM
STRAMPP
My Neon still dies at stopsigns (at idle) Your experts have recomended:
Check for vacuum leaks
check it for tune up
clean throttle body
check ,clean and or replace idle air control valve

I have installed new throttle body, idle air control valve and given a tuneup but the problem continues. It must be a vacuum lead, a hose??? but why then is it only when the engine is up to operating temp and not at all a problem when cold.?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/294312_Neon_3.jpg

Friday, October 23rd, 2009 AT 7:00 AM
BMRFIXIT
Did you disconnect the battery and reset the PCM and idle after the work was done if not need to do so
good luck
Friday, October 23rd, 2009 AT 1:15 PM
BMRFIXIT
PCM :Is Power control module, car computer

by disconnecting the battery it will loose all its in memory
or you can use a scan tool to reset its memory
this way will relearn the idle
Saturday, October 24th, 2009 AT 6:15 AM
GSTRAMPP
Ken & Bob
2CARPROS
You and I have been working on my Neon " Flameout" problem since last December but it still continues. Over the period, you have recommended several things:
-Check for vacuum leak
-Clean or replace the throttle body
-Replace the idle control valve
-Give it a tune-up
I have installed a new throttle body, a new idle speed control valve and given it a tune-up. I have not yet looked for vacuum leak.
Bob & Ken, let me give you some background. The Neon and I live in Thailand and not only is there a serious language problem but a lack of good mechanics and test equipment/special tools. Because of this, I have been working with the local Mercedes dealer as they were also Chrysler partners. As you know, Mercedes & Chrysler have split up but this local dealer still has the diagnostic equipment a a guy that can use it.
I had to ship the new throttle body and idle speed control valve from USA as Mercedes could not get it, but they did install. Whether they disconnected the battery cable before installation, I do not know.

I am really stuck here and need your best efforts (will send a good donation if we can finally lick this problem) along with Mercedes dealer here. The last of your recommendations was to check for vacuum leaks, but I have a Neon overhaul manual here and they talk about PCM, etc. And I am now thinking it could be more in that area. Consider this, the flameout problem never occurs when the engine is cold or not up to operating temp, it only occurs (too frequently) when hot or normal operating tem. In reading the manual, it talks about the PCM to control idle speed at the various temperatures.

Now, what I would really like is if 2CARPROS could take this problem in hand and go step by step to address the PCM or idle speed control (flameouts) problem so I could get your detailed reply translated into Thai language and take that and the Neon back to them to follow your lead. Can we do this?

I had trouble logging in to your website (logon name or password) and had to re-register as a new boy.

Many thanks guys, keep up the good work.

George Strampp
PS- I had to give my alternate email address to re-register but please continue to use gstrampp@loxinfo. Co. Th as that is my prime address.
Sunday, October 25th, 2009 AT 2:01 AM
GSTRAMPP
Bob & Ken,
Just a further note about following the PCM trail for a solution. I just dont think it would be a vacuum leak as the car idle runs great when first starting and running around until the temp get up to normal. That's when the flameouts begin. I would think that if it were a vacuum leak, the flameout problem would occur whether hot or cold?

Regards,
George
Sunday, October 25th, 2009 AT 4:17 AM
BMRFIXIT
No test equipment !
Let see if we can get the codes with out any equipment

Start engine
Move transmission shift lever through all positions, ending in Park.
Turn A/C switch on and then off (if equipped).
Turn engine off.
Without starting engine again, turn ignition on, off, on, off and on within 5 seconds.
Record 2-digit Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) as displayed by flashing MIL.(Check engine light )

For example, DTC 24 is displayed as flash, flash, 4-second pause, flash, flash, flash, flash.

After a slightly longer pause, other codes stored are displayed in numerical order

let me know what you have for codes
Sunday, October 25th, 2009 AT 6:15 AM
GSTRAMPP
To BMRFIXIT,
I tried your " non test equipment' test. I followed your instruction to the letter (3) times but each time the final result was the same. After I turned the key on & off (2) times and finally just " on' and awaited the 2 digit DTC codes but nothing happened.

After turning the key on for the 3rd time, the "ABS" , "Battery" and "Seatbelt Lights" went off after about half second, and stayed off. The "Park" and the "!" Lights stayed on along with the "Oil light" . I tried this 3 times and waited for several minutes but nothing changed, no DTC codes were flashing.

My Mercedes dealer does have a electronic diagnostic tester, but not sure if he knows what to look for.

What should I try next?

Regards,
George Strampp
Sunday, October 25th, 2009 AT 11:26 PM
BMRFIXIT
You should" ve had at lease one or two codes (12 and 55)
turn key on engine off do you have a check engine light on
you should if NO some one had it removed or the light out

any one with an OBDII reader (small hand held scanner tool )
should be able to access the codes

INCORRECT IDLE SPEED :

Check intake system for leaks.
Check throttle linkage for binding.
Check idle air control motor.
Check coolant temperature sensor.
Check throttle position sensor and connector.
Check distributor (if applicable).
Check for vacuum leaks.

THROTTLE BODY MINIMUM AIRFLOW
NOTE:Throttle body minimum airflow procedure checks throttle body calibration for correct idle speed.
Procedure may be used for idle speed problems caused by the throttle body.
Throttle body minimum airflow procedure should be performed after all other diagnostic procedures have failed to produce results that indicate a throttle body related problem.

Start and warm engine to normal operating temperature until electric cooling fan cycles on and off at least once.
Ensure all accessories are off.
Shut engine off.
Disconnect PCV valve vacuum hose from intake manifold.
Install cap on PCV valve vacuum hose fitting on intake manifold.
Disconnect idle purge hose from throttle body. See Fig. 1 .
Using small piece of vacuum hose, install .125" fixed orifice Air Metering Fitting (6457) on idle purge hose fitting on throttle body.
Connect scan tool to Data Link Connector (DLC), located below driver's side of instrument panel. See Fig. 2 .
Ensure all accessories are off.
Using scan tool manufacturer's instructions, access MINIMUM AIRFLOW display on scan tool.
When accessed, scan tool will display minimum airflow idle RPM.
Minimum airflow idle RPM should be within specification.

If minimum airflow idle RPM is within specification, throttle body is okay.
If minimum airflow idle RPM is not within specification, go to next step.
If minimum airflow idle RPM exceeds specification, using scan tool, check Idle Air Control (IAC) motor operation.
If IAC motor operates correctly, replace throttle body.
If IAC motor does not operate correctly, repair IAC motor as necessary.
If minimum airflow idle RPM is less than specified, clean throttle body.
Recheck minimum airflow idle RPM.
If correct minimum airflow idle RPM is now obtained, shut engine off.
If correct minimum airflow idle RPM cannot be obtained, the problem is not being caused by the throttle body.
Remove air metering fitting.
Reinstall vacuum hoses as necessary. Remove scan tool.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_578.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic2_281.jpg

Monday, October 26th, 2009 AT 6:21 AM