1996 DODGE NEON HIGH IDLE ON START UP

• Teressa
  • 1996 Dodge Neon

: cry:
I can't afford to take this BACK to the shop because I was in Hurricane Katrina and we are using what money we do have on rebuiling our lives. I have health issues, like lupus and RA which prevents me from being able to take it to a shop right now. Would this be something I can do myself?

Here's my delima. I have a 1996 Dodge Neon that just started having a really high idle on start up. The check engine soon light stays on. (Always has) the instrument panel works when it wants to. So I'm not sure on the exact milage. And the shocks are gone! I wouldn't give this car away. I will never own another Dodge Neon! : X

What would cause this to have a high idle at start up and literally drinks gas by the gallons? After the car warms up it idles back down the way it should.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Saturday, December 23rd, 2006 AT 12:20 PM

• primo

I had a vehicle that would idle high. I found that a sensor connector deteriorated. Some electrical tape was all it needed. Check all your sensor connections, especially for speed and idle. Hope this helps.

Saturday, December 23rd, 2006 AT 3:37 PM
  • Teressa

: ) Thanks so much Primo

This just started all of a sudden. It would use 1/4 of a tank of gas only going 10 miles down the road.

I will check those. I wasn't sure if it could be a vacuum line or sensor. I think the dern thing has a mind of it's own.

Thank you and have a Merry Christmas!
Teressa

Saturday, December 23rd, 2006 AT 4:21 PM
  • stratus98

I would look at the throttle position sensor, usually its on your throttle body or intake manifold. For some reason 96 neons have a gauge problem your one of 4 I have heard of in the past couple months, the first car I looked at it was a loose connection in the back of the gauge cluster. Hope this helps

Sunday, December 24th, 2006 AT 7:14 PM