1996 Dodge Neon car wont start, will turn over but not star

KATRINABLOCK
  • 1996 DODGE NEON
1996 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Automatic

my car will sometimes not want to start for me, it will turn over, just not start. Sometimes it will take a few trys then it will sart, other times it wont at all until the next day or longer. I bought a new EGR valve and put it in but it didn't fix it. I was just wondering what else I can try to get it to work right! Oh and when it does start it runs just fine!
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 1:38 PM

WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
+1
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 2:17 PM