1995 Dodge Neon Heater core

PINKTHORNL
  • 1995 DODGE NEON
I believe the heater core has gone up in our Neon. We have replaced the thermostat and everything else still runs fine, but no heat. I can do most things when it comes to engines, but have never had to replace a heater core. Could you please inform me on the steps to do so? Thanks so much
Saturday, March 8th, 2008 AT 6:31 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Best bet is to check the manual.
http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals.htm

You can try to backflush the heater core by disconnecting the heater hoses and running a garden hose through the exiting side back into the core and out the ingoing line.
Saturday, March 8th, 2008 AT 7:06 PM
PINKTHORNL
How do I tell which one is exit/intake? I also have a new problem now where when put in gear you have to really lay on the gas pedal/the rpms have to be high to get to even barely move. Transmission fluid or need new trans?
Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 3:15 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Put the heater core on the back burner.

IS the transmission fluid full, if not fill it with atf + 4 transmission fluid only. Check it while it is in park and the engine running.
Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 3:55 PM
PINKTHORNL
Well, we have discovered a problem that is not helping. There is a plastic pipe that runs out from the water pump into piping/tubing to the radiator. This pip has a crack in it and so it is not holding any coolant, so we cannot run the vehicle. Do you by chance know what this is called? A friend told us we would not be able to buy this pipe from Chrysler/dodge and would have to hope to find one at a junk yard. Is this so? It's a small pipe, and it doesn't come with the water pump but does somehow connect to it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Tuesday, March 18th, 2008 AT 12:33 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Single or dual overhead cam motor?

Sounds like a by-pass hose. Call a parts store and ask.
Tuesday, March 18th, 2008 AT 1:11 PM
PINKTHORNL
Its single, and the parts stores around seem to not know either.
Tuesday, March 18th, 2008 AT 2:00 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Call the dealer and ask for

#4777171AB

it is still available, but may need to be ordered. About 12-15 bucks.
Tuesday, March 18th, 2008 AT 3:30 PM