1995 Dodge Neon CrankShaft Sensor Maybe?

TWIZTIDMAFIA
  • 1995 DODGE NEON
1995 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

OK, it is a 2.0 DOHC 5 spd manual. 1999 motor in it. The problem is ( sparadicly ) cylinders 2+3 dont fire from the coil pack. Have changed coil pack, PCM, and Cam sensor. Plugs + wires. This happens sparadically, one minute its fine. The next it starts spittin and spuddering and backfireing. I have a radar detector with pretty accurate voltmeter on it. Some of the time, the volts drop to 11.5-12.2 when it is idleing ruff. It will idle at 500 rpms barely. When you give it gas, you can hear it suck alot of air and it backfires and sputters when giving gas. Other times, it will idle fine, but experiences the same symptoms when accelerating. This symtoms present themselves unannounced, and suddenly, has happend while moving, or sittin still idleing. Overnight the car is fine, maybe even 2. But after 4 nights of sittin, the battery was dead as a door nail. I am not sure if this last symptom is really linked, I am sure it could be a ground issue, but I would like to figure out the not fireing issue first.
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 12:14 AM

Do you have a check engine light?

Try checking the camshaft and crankshaft sensors

Ignition system has 2 ignition coils. See Fig. 4. A power transistor controls primary current of ignition coil "A" to activate spark plugs in cylinders No. 1 and 4. Similarly, another power transistor controls ignition coil "B", which activates spark plugs in cylinders No. 2 and 3. In this way, spark plugs of 2 cylinders are activated, but actual ignition takes place only in the cylinder that is on its compression stroke at that time. Power transistors are activated by signals from PCM, controlling timing and firing of cylinders.
When ignition is turned on, battery voltage is applied to ignition coil primary winding. As crankshaft position sensor shaft rotates, ignition signals are transmitted from PCM to power transistor. These signals activate power transistor, causing ignition coil primary winding current to either repeatedly flow from ignition coil negative terminal through power transistor to ground, or to be interrupted. This action induces high voltage in secondary winding of ignition coil. From ignition coil, secondary winding current flows through spark plug to ground, causing ignition in each cylinder.
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 8:50 AM
TWIZTIDMAFIA
Yea check engine light is on, I cant drive the car far enough to get it reset but the codes it has thrown at this point I think are rather irrelevant. Being, in short, I am saying that I dont have a spark coming from cylinders 2+3, and you are saying that the crank sensor controls the ignition of those cylinders, then next logical step is to replace the crankshaft? Your post honestly kinda way WAY over the top of my head. Please simplyfy what to do in oder to solve the problem.

Btw, I cant see fig 4. I dont know where it is?
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 9:11 AM
TWIZTIDMAFIA
N/m problem solved, it was the crank sensor. I appreciate the quick response. However, was quite unpleased with the terminology used. I will not request a refund, but for future references, please consider using more "Lamen" terms when responding to a question, not all of us are ASE Certified.
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 12:33 PM