2000 Dodge Intrepid

• 1 POST

2000 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive 230000 miles

2000 dodge intrepid trouble with fuel pump.
I was working on shift cable, when after would not start. No fuel pump buzz when key is in position. I checked fuse switched relays and notta. I dropped the tank and pump. The pump will spin & pump when 12voltsare put to it. Jumper wires. I guess I, m asking when trouble shooting with key in on position
should I have 12 volt constanly at the plug that goes into the pump? Cause I don't now. Any help on trouble shooting would be great.
PS I WILL donate if you guys /gals can help me out. Sincerly I am Rick Haley

Thursday, November 5th, 2009 AT 12:38 PM

On a 3.3L or 3.8L with the key turned to start you will hear the fuel pump build pressure for a start. Then if the PCM senses cam and crank sensors while cranking, the auto shutdown relay is energized by the PCM. Keeping the engine running. You may have accidently blew a fuse under the hood. Look in the power center. It is black with a lid on it explaining all of these relays and fuses.
The shutdown relay must be energized to check voltage at this connection. I hope I am not confusing you. Hook up the pump and use your voltage tester to check the fuses and they control the circuits that are used to power the engine up. Usually it is the fuse labeled "engine" but not always. Then clear it by unhooking the battery to start over. OK
You may have caused a loss of crankshaft or camshaft signal. This would keep the shutdown relay from energizing.
What is wrong with the transmission?
The whole 10 way connector is near this adjustment. And the range sensor will cause a no starter relay also. OK thanks Mr. Haley. My brother was named Rick.
Good man. Common problem. Good explanation. Sorry you have gotton an answer from me, but lets get it running so no one gets blown up. Terrible situation.

Thursday, November 5th, 2009 AT 8:19 PM