1996 Dodge Intrepid Crankshaft sensor

GIXXERREESE
  • 1996 DODGE INTREPID
I got error code 11 which tells me to check between pcm and crankshaft position sensor I looked in the chilton book and it said how to check the sensor I did and didnt get the reading it said I should (5v) I also checked the tps it was fine. My question is that the timing mark is broken on the crankshaft gear it had a chip where I think it should have been when I timed it starts up right away. So is it possible for the crankshaft to be a little off and still run but not have the sensor in the right spot at the right time but timed enough to runs. My symptons are it drives fine but when I have to get on gas the check engine light blinks off and engine stalls for a split second and kicks back on causing the car to kick.
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 6:18 PM

Code 11 means the logic module has no memory of seeing a signal from the ignition reference sensor. Crank the engine and check for the code again. If the logic module saw a signal, the code will be cleared. This code will not show up if the sensor simply fails. The logic module must be reset and the engine cranked to see if the sensor is working.

Also, a bad connection or wiring can cause the problem- Check the wiring and connections between the hall effect sensor (located underneath the distributer cap) and the logic module. Check the continuity of the two 3 conductor cables coming out of the sensor--these are prone to fatiguing and breaking inside the insulation where they exit the sensor if the cables are not properly tied down. You may be able to resolder them. Clean and regrease any corroded connectors with dielectric grease and repair any shorts.

Finally, they are the two, flat 3 conductor cables coming out of the sensor at the base of the distributer cap. These often fatigue where they exit from the sensor. Upon replacing the sensor, make sure the cables are clipped or tied to the distributor cap shroud (or elsewhere) so they do not swing around.

Let me know what you find.

Monday, August 9th, 2010 AT 11:43 PM