2004 Dodge Durango truck still overheats

CLOSWIN
  • 2004 DODGE DURANGO
  • AWD
Hello, the problem I have with my truck is that every time I turn the a/c on, truck begins to heat up. I have changed my radiator about a year ago, just recently changed thermostat, fan clutch, waterpump, antifreeze coolant, and the coolant sensor. The only thing for me to do is a radiator flush, but don't see a reason to do it cause you can say the radiator is still semi -new. Both hoses are in good condition and are not leaking. Would like to know if I should still take it to get a complete radiator flush, if it would solve the problem. Please help, I'm at a loss and would like to use my truck before winter comes. Thankyou for taking the time to help.
Monday, July 13th, 2009 AT 4:32 PM

Has the engne actually overheated? I question if the temp sending unit is bad. Also, does it only overheat when in traffic or will it at highway speed too?

I agree with you. The radiator should be fine. You may consider having the engine block flushed, but I honestly question if that will help. Also, does the engine run good otherwise? I wonder if there is a head gasket problem.
Monday, July 13th, 2009 AT 11:41 PM
CLOSWIN
The truck temp. Guage needle only has about an 1/8 to 1/4 before it hits the H on it, in traffic or freeway. How would I know if head gasket is bad? The truck runs good.
Thursday, July 16th, 2009 AT 2:18 PM
I agree with you. Chances are the radiator isn't the problem, so a flush would most likely be a waste of money.

As far as the head gasket question, you would need to do a compression test. Then you could check to see if there is a cylender with low compression.

If this only happens with the ac on and you have done everything you described, I question if there is a problem at all other than a faulty coolant temp sensor or some short that is causing the gauge to raise. Another thing you could try (to make sure the gauge is accurate) is to rent a radiator thermometer. With the engine cold, open the radiator cap, put in the thermometer, start the engine with the AC on and see what temp the coolant in the radiator gets. It should stay around 200 degrees F.

Here is a how to for checking compression if you need it:

http://www.2carpros.com/dia/how_to_check_compression.htm

Something tells me with everything you have done, something is causing the gauge to misread.

Let me know what you find.

Thursday, July 16th, 2009 AT 10:00 PM