2002 Dodge Durango RPMs fluctuation at all times

TMBNEWSOME75
  • 2002 DODGE DURANGO
I have a 2002 Dodge Durango that is having an issue with the RPMs fluctuating when driving and sitting still just idling. Not only do the RPMs jump up and down by 300 to 500 rpms but the engine also fluctuates with the rpm changes. The speed doesn’t really change but the engine sounds as if it does. At first you really don’t notice it that much. It happens every so often and only by 200 to 400 rpms. As a few days go by the issues gets a lot worse. It starts fluctuating a lot and all the time by 400 to 500 rpms and at that time you can really feel and hear it in the engine. By this time the vehicle will speed up and slow down according to the amount of RPMs change and at this point it will make much bigger jumps in the amount and a lot more often. Pretty soon the RPMs aren’t the only thing that is jumping around; the passengers are now able to feel it and are also being moved forward and backward when the fluctuations start. When the issue started the check engine light was not and did not come on, but over a few days time, the light did come on and stayed on.
I’ve also noticed the transmission acting funny too. When I slow down to make turn and after you are in the turn and give it some gas to go on, it shifts really hard. I have noticed that if you don’t give it any gas but let it slow down more after the turn that you can give it some gas and it will shift just fine. I’m really the only one that drives it so I just pay attention while going into turns and I just don’t give it any gas until I can feel that it has slowed enough for it to shift right. It has gotten to where I can feel that just right point before giving it any gas and that is how I have been driving it so that there isn’t any damage done that I can’t afford to repair because I know that a transmission shouldn’t shift that hard for just making a turn. Actually I can’t think of any reason why a transmission should shift that hard at all.
If anybody has any ideas as to what to check or repair I’d be so grateful for your help. Thanks
Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 2:02 PM

Hi:
Has the check engine light come on?
Tuesday, March 10th, 2009 AT 4:46 PM