2000 Dodge Durango fuel pump

JUSTICE08
  • 2000 DODGE DURANGO
I am wondering how you diagnose a fuel pump. My fuel pump in my durango doesnt make any noise when its cold but when it warms up it makes a loud noise(kinda like a humming noise). The other day my wife said that everytime she let off the gas it would die out. No check engine light ever came on. It was very cold that day and she was at a quarter of a tank. We where told that before the fuel pump goes out it will make noises. Also is it possible that because she was she low on gas that there could of been some condensation in the tank and that could of caused the stall out? If not how do I go about replacing the fuel pump?
Monday, December 17th, 2007 AT 6:37 PM

BLACKOP555
Yes if there is water in the tank it can be sucked up when the tank is ran low.

But other then that I dont think it would cause the car to stall out if the accelerator wasnt being depressed.

When you say that the pump is quiet when cold but gets loud when its been ran a while then it sounds to me like your pumping is showing its age, to check to be sure you would have to perform a fuel pressure test on the fuel rail.

To change the pump the tank has to be droped by disconnecting the fuel fill hose and then putting a jack under then tank and loosening the straps then disconnecting the hoses and wires and then dropping it the rest of the way.
Monday, December 17th, 2007 AT 8:36 PM
OLDTECH2
My 2000 Durango always has a hum in the back from the fuel pump. Cold or hot. It's always struck me as a little noisey, but it's never been a problem in about 125,000 miles.

The dieing at idle sounds to me like an idle validation issue in the tps. I've seen other Dodges have tps problems and not set codes.

The other option would be that the pump is dieing and dropping pressure. However, that should cause a problem under acceleration, not at idle. Note: the pump uses fuel for cooling, so it's possible that fuel level could cause the pump issue. (GM trucks have the problem and are notorious for the pump dieing due to cooling issues.)

You mentioned water in the fuel. While this can shut the engine down, it will normally misfire and generally run bad before that happens.
Thursday, December 27th, 2007 AT 2:17 PM