2000 Dodge Durango Engine overheating due to smoke coming f

RGBRYAN
  • 2000 DODGE DURANGO
My radiator cap is smoking and coolant begins to leak from the hoses. The temperature gauge starts to rise after this happens after the cars running for about 5 minutes. I replaced the hoses, radiator cap, and even the thermostat, but to no avail.
Is there no water circulating? If so, could this be a water pump problem? Thank you.
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 4:33 PM

JAMES W.
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it sounds like you have a headgasket out or a cracked head. With radiator full. If you run the cold motor for a few minuets, do you get excessive pressure at the radiator cap? If so, you have a head problem. Do you get any white smoke out the tailpipe? Please advise.
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 4:44 PM
RGBRYAN
Yes, smoke increases out of the tailpipe. Pressure does indeed increase at the radiator cap.
I put anti-freeze in the night before. The next morning I discovered the smoke radiating from the cap and antifreeze was everywhere. I come to find the radiator hose hanging off.
That led me to replace the hoses and thermostat, but the problem is persisting and I am trying to sell.
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 5:22 PM
JAMES W.
Yes, Ihave to believe you have a head or gasket problem especially if you're blowing hoses. A normal cooling system runs around 12 to 14lbs pressure, but a compression leak can boost it up to 100lbs or more.
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 6:20 PM
RGBRYAN
Thanks James. As a mechanic, what do you suppose the final cost would be to replace head gasket on Durango?
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 7:49 PM
JAMES W.
How much $ is always a toughy. Flat rate shows 8 to 10 hours for doing both sides. Not knowing what took the gasket out or cracked the head, I can only guess, but it would be foolish to do only one side. To do only one side shows a labor reduction of only 1 1/2 hours. Parts would be a "headset" which is all the gaskets for the top end of the motor, about $100. If one of the heads is cracked, you'll need a replacement. Used would be about $75-$100. Labor is the biggie, and that depends on where you take it, and how hungry they are. Dealerships are never hungry. I would highly recommend shopping around, get recommendations for other people about a good shop. You can tell which cylinder(s) are leaking by letting it sit overnight. The next day, disable the ignition so it doesn't start and crank the motor a few times then pull the plugs. You should see coolant on the plug tips. Hope this has helped.
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 8:33 PM