1999 Dodge Durango NO Bus displayed in Odometer window

DJZBOYZ
  • 1999 DODGE DURANGO
Our 1999 Dodge Durnago was operating normally driving about 40mph, not setting at any stop light. The Engine cuts out and all displays to blank. After coasting to a stop, tried to start it. The check engine light came on, and odoemter changed from displaying the miledge to "NO BUS". The engine would crank, and act like it was not getting any gas. After setting for about 10 min, it started. However a couple of miles down the road, it did it again. I have seen a couple of entries on this site about corriosion on the instument package and a connection or probelm with the on board computor. Can We have any advise on possible repair and cost. Thanks.
Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 AT 9:38 PM

LEGITIMATE007
Yeah no bus means there is a communications error from the transmission control module or ecm. I would go to autozone and see what kind of fault codes that the scan will give and bring them back, You may have to replace the computer, or it may just be a simple connection problem with the harnass. But have it scanned and we can take it from there
Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 AT 9:49 PM
DJZBOYZ
Thanks Legit, it will take me a couple of weeks to get this durango into the shop to check the error codes due to vac plans. Would it be safe to assume if the transmission control module was faulty we would have issues with gear shifting being sluggish or noticable problems shifting gears? Is there anyway I could easly check the wiring harness connections in the meantime.
Monday, June 23rd, 2008 AT 3:20 PM
LEGITIMATE007
You can always check for power and ground with a tester
Monday, June 23rd, 2008 AT 8:46 PM
FODUS
Replace the computer. I got mine from AutoZone for around $276 plus a $65 core fee that you get back when you return the old part. The dealership wanted just under $600 for the same part, plus $85 to install it. I was able to install it in around 3 minutes, including unhooking the battery, and I am not a mechanic. It is 3 bolts and 3 electrical connections. If you can't afford the AutoZone price right now try packing ice around the computer to keep it cool. I would buy a bag of ice from a gas station, pour out about 1/3 to 1/2 half of it around the computer, reseal the bag, and then pack the bag around the computer. This worked WONDERS for me until I could buy the new computer. If you need to know where your computer is e-mail me @ DanielDriggs@aol. Com. Good luck.
Tuesday, July 15th, 2008 AT 6:20 PM