Oil preassure

IDON'TKNOW
  • DODGE DAKOTA
1991 dodge dakota, V8, 318, 194867. Oil pressure is normal when the engine is cold. When the engine warms to normal running temp the oil pressure drops to the L and th engine oil light starts flickering on and off. I have already repalced the oil pressure sending unit. The oil has remained at the safe mark on the dipstick. The oil is new 10w-30. I switched from 5w-30 about a month ago when the problem first started, but no real change. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Saturday, April 14th, 2007 AT 8:05 PM

IDK, sounds like the oil pumper is givng up/sludged up pick-up screen or we have excessive bearing clearances open it up and inspect -time for rebulid.
Sunday, April 15th, 2007 AT 5:56 AM
SHEDWORLD
Shedworld has a 1991 Dodge Ramcharger with the 318cid V8. IDK describes exactly the same symptoms I am having with my oil pressure. I was hoping not to have to drop the oil pan and replace the pump, but razmataz's answer is very logical and what I didn't want to hear, so it seems dropping the pan is unavoidable.
Tuesday, May 1st, 2007 AT 12:53 PM
That's right you just need to open it up and pull a CSI on it-could be the idiot light/gauge-who knows you might get the lucky 7
Tuesday, May 1st, 2007 AT 5:49 PM
SHEDWORLD
That's right you just need to open it up and pull a CSI on it-could be the idiot light/gauge-who knows you might get the lucky 7[/quote:174091a060]

The one difference in this case was the oil pressure sending unit was not yet replaced: As it turned out, that was the culprit! Luckily, motor and oil pump seem strong and steady. The new sending unit fixed it this time. :D

Shedworld
+1
Wednesday, May 9th, 2007 AT 4:27 PM