Headlights do not come on Dodge Dakota 1999

RDIMAMB
  • DODGE DAKOTA
Two days ago while I was driving the headlights went off. If I flick the warning lights the high beams come on but of course only momentarily. All other lights stay on. I took off the 50 amp fuse for the lights in the box on the driver's side inner fender. When I pull the fuse out all light go off.

When I put it back all lights came on but no headlights. After a while the headlights came on again on their own. I tried to test the fuse by pulling the fuse out again and all lights went out (including the headlights) and when I replaced the fuse the headlights came on again. So I figured that the fuse was good and it controls the headlights as well. Tonight the same thing happened again.

The headlights will not come on. So I tested the headlight switch by testing it on another Dakota and it worked fine. I put it back and still no headlights. All the other lights stay on as they should. Is there a relay or a breaker switch that may need to be replaced? This is the only vehicle that my wife can drive because of her leg problems (the truck sits higher than my Mazda MX6 and she can get in and out easier). I need it to fix it as soon as possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Monday, September 10th, 2007 AT 9:04 PM

JACK42
The problem with these trucks is the switch is a little weak. Can you try wiggling it back and forth to see if you can get them to come on? Then replace the switch to fix the problem. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find.
+1
Tuesday, September 11th, 2007 AT 7:52 AM
RDIMAMB
Thank you for your help. I traced all of the wires and ultimately we decided to change the light switch again. It was it. The switch was working intermittently thus suggesting a short somewhere when in fact there was none. In checking the wires I did find some that were corroded and fixed those before they became a problem too.
Thanks for your help again. Very helpful.

Roberto
+1
Sunday, September 16th, 2007 AT 5:32 PM
KEN
Here is a guide and the headlight wiring diagram so you can see where you are losing power if the headlight switch does not fix it. Check fuse G, 8 and 20.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Best, Ken
+5
Sunday, December 4th, 2016 AT 7:33 PM
SHEILA HOLMES
  • 1993 DODGE DAKOTA
Headlights, brake lights, horn not working. I already replaced the switch.
+1
Thursday, September 13th, 2018 AT 7:10 PM (Merged)
Those are three different switches. With multiple non-working systems, start by checking the large fuses in the under-hood fuse box. You need to list the engine size and transmission type so I can look up the correct wiring diagram.
+3
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1997 DODGE DAKOTA
So I bought the truck used everything worked great, but now my headlights will not turn on I checked the fuses and they are good. High beams work if I jam the stick but after about a hour or so they turn off and on then stay on for a minute then repeats. I do not know what the problem is. Help please!
+1
Maybe a problem dimmer/multi-function switch? Did you test for voltage, anywhere?
+1
Just to add, if you fool with the steering column, disarm the air-bag first. Another thought is the headlamp switch, there is circuit breaker in the headlamp switch. Note the voltage wires in the diagram, check for voltage when problem is ongoing.
Sorry wrong diagram.
KOTABOB
  • 1997 DODGE DAKOTA
  • 180 MILES
Hi, my headlights have stopped working. I have checked all my fuses and relays and all seem fine. I installed a new headlight switch and a new multi-function switch and still no low beam lights. If I pull the high beams back the high beams come on but they go off when I let the switch go so they do not stay on. I also noticed when the high beams go on the fog lights go off but the fog lights and all other lights work fine aside from when the high beam is turned on. I hear the Dakota lights run off the computer but also hear that was not the case for the 1997 model, so I am unsure on that. If it is the computer and I get an aftermarket how do I get it working correctly for my Dakota? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
+1
Yes, the insane engineers have seen fit to hang an unnecessary, unreliable, expensive computer onto every conceivable system, but luckily your truck still has a common sense and simple circuit. The "flash-to-pass" is on a separate part of the headlight switch. If the high beams work normally, the headlight switch is okay. Since the flash-to-pass function works, we know the 30 amp fuse has to be okay too.

If the high beams work properly, (not the flash-to-pass function), go to the next paragraph. If the low and high beams do not work, go to the headlight switch or the dimmer switch and check for voltage on the light green wire. You should find 12 volts there with the headlight switch turned on.

If you have voltage coming out of the headlight switch, check on the red/orange and violet/white wires at the multi-function switch. One or the other should have 12 volts when you activate the dimmer switch. Let me know what you find missing.
ROYHOLLAWAY
  • 1995 DODGE DAKOTA
My headlights are not working. I tried replacing the bulbs and I checked the small fuses in the truck and nothing is working.
Thursday, September 13th, 2018 AT 7:11 PM (Merged)
Are the parking lights, rear lights, license plate lights working? Have you checked the headlight socket for power? Have you checked the switch itself?
+1
RRSOSEBEE
  • 1987 DODGE DAKOTA
No head lamps, no interior lamps, no brake lamps working
+1
Monday, March 25th, 2019 AT 12:01 PM (Merged)
Check gray fusible links under hood they may be by a start plug. It 's the one that goes to fuse 6
+2
They are at left rear shock tower
+1
XWEARTHEGRDGEX
  • 1989 DODGE DAKOTA
Electrical problem 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual n/a miles

I have been having this problem for a few days now. None of the lights work except for my turn signals and hazard lights. In fact. Nothing electrical works in the truck at all. Only the gauges. And that's because I changed the fuses out to get it to work. Otherwise, the radio doesn't work, the dome light doesn't work and the cigarette lighter as well. But my main issue is the headlights/taillights. I checked the bulbs, they're all good. So I looked under the hood to find the relays, and I only found two relays in the whole truck. I was told that there are no relays for the headlights on this year and model. But I checked anyway. The two relays that were there both would click one time when hooked to power. And also, I replaced the headlight switch with a brand new one, 99% positive that it would be the fix, only to be disappointed again. I've run out of ideas. Somebody help me out here?
When you were replacing the headlamp switch, did you check for voltage at the red wire, B1 in the diagram. That circuit is hot all the time, voltage comes from fusible link, left shock tower, under the hood. When turn on the headlamp switch, the voltage then goes to the dimmer switch.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_dakota_headlamp_switch_1.jpg

-2
XWEARTHEGRDGEX
There is no power going to the switch at all.
-1
You need to check fusible links at left shock tower. One way to test fusible links, check for voltage on both sides of the link.
+1