SLT, 4WD V8 5.9L CODES & TOWING PROBLE

2002 Dodge Dakota

jwee

June, 20, 2006 AT 7:52 PM

HELP! I have been addressing codes of P0442, EVAP Emission (small), P0455 (Large). Changed the gas cap to locking; reset the codes. When the tank would drop to 1/2 full, the check engine light would come on again, sometimes both codes or one or the other. Reset the code and had " NO PROBLEM DETECTED" print out. Then went up to altitude towing a trailer, (4800lbs.) @ 10,000 ft, (Colorado) the check engine light came on again, (first time it came on was at altitude also) and the vehicle struggled going through the pass. RPM'S between 4000 & 5000, rode REALLY HARD! Heard cooling fan blowing after 2 minutes of this drive. (O/D off) Slowed to 35 MPH, RPM'S dropped 'tween 3000 & 4800, felt like it had no power at all. I have a towing package on the vehicle so I don't know if the drag and fan noises are normal. It seemed to be whinning, like not enough tourke. It took a while for the engine to recover (20-30 mins.) On the way back, it was as if it recognized what it was about to do again, and repeated this whinning & moaning like a high idle. I had the check engine light checked again and new codes came up.P0132, (BANK 1 SENSOR 1) P0456 EVAP EMISS very small, P0455 Large and P0442 Small.

I will change out the O2 sensor # 1, Bank 1. I believe this is in the front of the cat, not the rear one. Am I correct? Is there anything else I should be checking? Does this sound like my engine is going to blow on me? Haven't had a problem since I cleared the codes. Also, noticed fluid leak at middle section of rear axle. Was told that was " minor, nothing to worry about". I don't believe fluid leaks are " nothing to worry about. ANY HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED! Thanks! Jwee[/code]

vandragon

June, 21, 2006 AT 10:45 AM

With all the work you have done already, I would take it to a dealership and pay for the peace of mind which includes a one year warrenty. Good luck.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler PT
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Oil and Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy
Engine Oil Change and Filter Jeep Wrangler
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150