2002 Dodge Dakota service engine light

BOOMER02
  • 2002 DODGE DAKOTA
My service engine light is on, what causes this?
Sunday, May 9th, 2010 AT 2:24 PM

If the light has come on, there could be many things that caused it. However, to determine the problem, you need to have the computer scanned. IT will identify where the problem came from. WHat to do is take the truck to a nationally recognized parts store and have them do it. Most will do it for free. Once they get the trouble code, let me know what it is and I can direct you.

Sunday, May 9th, 2010 AT 4:22 PM
BOOMER02
The code says we have a vacume leak. We tried to tighten the gas cap, but still have light on. Where should I check now?
Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 AT 3:11 PM
Okay, it sounds like you have a leak in the "EVAP" system. First, it isn't very often that there is a problem with the fuel cap. Parts stores will sell them any time there is a leak. Let me know if they told you there was a leak in the EVAP system so I know how to direct you. Don't worry, we'll figure this out.

Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 AT 9:14 PM
BOOMER02
Yes that is what he said
Wednesday, May 12th, 2010 AT 1:08 PM
Here is what I recommend. Because the leaks can come from so many different places, they are hard to find. Contact your local shop and tell them you need to have the EVAP system fogged. What they will do is actually pump fog into the system at a low pressure. When it hits the leak, it will leak from the system and you can identify the problem. Otherwise, you will be looking for the problem and never find it. You can try to save time and money and have the fuel cap checked first. However, chances are it is fine.

Let me know what you find.
Thursday, May 13th, 2010 AT 8:02 AM