2002 Dodge Dakota Cooling System Flush

PARKER08
  • 2002 DODGE DAKOTA
I have no idea where to start. I Just looked in the engine coolant resivoir and it is very low and is a dark brown rusty color. I really need to flush out the system and put in new engine coolant. How do I go about doing that? Do I put the water in the resivoir to flush it out or somewhere else. Can I drive it the way it is to get to a store to get the coolant. It is driving a little hot but not too bad. Do I have to drain the block? If someone could give me a step by step process that would be great and mostly appreciated. Thank you sooo much. And I do apologize for my ignorance on the issue.
Monday, August 4th, 2008 AT 7:26 AM

MMPRINCE4000
If you are going to do it yourself, drain the radiator and remove the block drain plug(s). Also remove the thermostat. Run fresh water through the cooling system until it runs clear. Replace the block plugs and radiator drain plug and refill with coolant. Also make sure the heater is set to maximun heat (to clean the heater core).
This is a messy business, and coolant is toxic and hard to clean up.
You may want to look at the cost to flush the system at a local garage, in many cases you can get it done for under $150.
-1
Tuesday, August 5th, 2008 AT 5:19 AM

Sponsored links