2002 Dodge Dakota Check Engine light/ Non existant first ge

TREVOR51
  • 2002 DODGE DAKOTA
This issue started about a year ago when the check engine light came on. Upon reading the code it said P1698. I recently took the truck to the dealership and they said the problem was my TCM. I replaced the module then after about 50 miles the transmission would slip out of gear and back into gear while at 65 MPH and the same shortly after. It didn't happen again. I put the original TCM back in it because I thought the new one was faulty. Then another issue came up where my truck would be very sluggish on the take off, as if my first gear was not engaged. This problem would go away and come back every other day or so. I recieved another TCM and the same problem has been happening except now it seems to not want to engage first gear at all. I am unsure if the problem is my torque converter or if my transmission is going out. Can you help?
Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 10:57 AM

RACEFAN966
Ok I don't find such a code sorry it just isn't on the list of codes for you truck. If you would call around to you local parts stores and see if one does a free scan and scan it. Write down any codes current or pending, then clear them and get back to me with what you find. Thanks
Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 8:58 AM
TREVOR51
I had the code read orignially and it was P1698. I have confirmed it with the dealership and the truck will also tell me the code. When it was read the first time the it said P1698 Manufacturer wiring fault. It was very unclear as to what it was saying. What I took from it was it needed to go to the dealership for repair. If there is nothing you can find with the code can you give some insite to the issue with the transmission problem I am experiencing?
+1
Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 9:27 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok after some deeper digging this code is related to your transmission problems. It is pointing back to the TCM (transmission control module). I would have a relearn done first before buying a new one. This does require a scan tool that will read the tcm to do this.
Friday, March 12th, 2010 AT 10:44 AM
TREVOR51
Unfortunately I have already replaced the TCM. That is what the dealership told me to do, do to some faulty components inside my original TCM. The gear problem started a couple days after I put the new TCM in and it slipped in and out of my top gear while I was going down the highway. I thought that one was faulty so I called the company and they sent me another one. Before I got the second one I put my original one back in. After driving a few miles my truck would not take off in first gear. Then the problem went away either a short ways down the road or after I got out and came back to it later that day. The first gear issue has come and gone every other day for a couple weeks. Till I recieved a second TCM from the company and now I have no first gear. I can not disengage my over drive and I can not switch my drive train into 4wheel low. You mentioned a relearn how can I do this with the existing TCM that is installed right now. I do not have the original any more?
+1
Friday, March 12th, 2010 AT 12:51 PM
RACEFAN966
The relearn must be done with a scan tool that will read the TCM and you then drive and set the shift and so on. So if you have one of these scan tools that will do that then get back to me and I will give you procedure.
Monday, March 15th, 2010 AT 8:51 AM