2001 Dodge Dakota has a mis

INCOLTS2000
  • 2001 DODGE DAKOTA
Truck only has mis when at a complete stop in gear or in reverse, othher then that performance seems ok as long as moving
Thursday, January 22nd, 2009 AT 11:21 AM

Hi:
when was the last tune up? Also, is the check engine light coming on?

Thursday, January 22nd, 2009 AT 8:25 PM
INCOLTS2000
It was fully tuned up about two years ago, the check engine light is on but has been on way before this started. Also as far as the check engine light, being on, I took it to have code read, but they said couldnt get it so they told me it could be something simple like the gas cap not sealing good or something like that, made no sense to me but never really had any issures machanically from it being on.
Thursday, January 22nd, 2009 AT 11:19 PM
The code needs to be read because there may be a problem that has taken time to notice. As far as the tune up being 2 years ago, check for arcing from the plug wires, cap and rotor condition. After market parts never seem to last as long as factory parts. Finally, the man who checked the computer mentioned about the gas cap. What he is refering to is an EVAP code that would indicate a leak in the fuel system (not gas but fumes). If there is a leak, it would set a code, and it could cause a vacuum leak which inturn could cause a rough idle. However, without knowing the code, that is nothing more than a guess. Did you take the truck to a mechanic to have the computer tested?

Friday, January 23rd, 2009 AT 3:20 PM