2000 Dodge Dakota Trouble codes

SCHLIEVEDAN
  • 2000 DODGE DAKOTA
My check engine light is on. I did a self-check on my truck and I get trouble codes P0138, P0301 and P1682. Are these problems that a person who is not mechanically inclined would be able to fix? I would hate to take it into a shop and get charged $100's of dollars if I could just do it myself for the cost of parts.
Monday, January 14th, 2008 AT 10:20 PM

BLACKOP555
P0138 - Left Bank Downstream or Downstream and Pre-Catalyst O2S Shorted to Voltage - Oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating range

A P0301 code means that the the car's computer has detected that the #1 cylinder is missfiring it could be causing the P0138 code or the p0138 code could be causing this code, check your spark plugs wires, injectorand compression.

I belive P1682 is not a code for dodge manafacture.
-1
Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 AT 9:08 AM
BLACKOP555
P1682 Charging System Voltage Too Low

i looked at that one wrong sorry, check your alternator.
Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 AT 9:09 AM
SCHLIEVEDAN
Thanks. I took it into the local Autozone and they did a free alternator check and said that all is good with that. They also mentioned that my belt sounds like it is slipping (squeaking and rattling) which could be caused by bearings in one of the pullies. Could that also be a possible cause for the trouble codes? So do you think the best place to start would be to change my plugs and wires, replace bad pully, and re-test for codes again? Also, do these codes automatically reset once the problem is fixed or is there something I have to do to reset?
Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 AT 5:08 PM
BLACKOP555
If the belt is slipping it wont turn the alternator properly. Check all I told you first the alternator will not cause those problems.
Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 AT 7:29 PM
HOLYJOE
I just had the same thing on my 2000 V-6. Turned out not to be the belt but the tensioner. $65 and an hour of work, everything is back to normal.

Tip for the DIY'er - Remove the entire air filter box from the wheel well and it goes much faster. You will also likely need to remove the coil from the bracket - the phillips head screws are usually hard to get out - you may have to use needle-nose vice grips to get them out. (I ground a hex head on the screws once they were out to make installation easier)
Thursday, February 28th, 2008 AT 1:53 PM