1999 Dodge Dakota Starting Problems

IROC_RUSS
  • 1999 DODGE DAKOTA
My Dakota has been starting fine until a few days ago. It was starting fine a few weeks before problem with the temperatures below 0. I started having this problem when it was in the 30's outside, only when cold. The engine turned over fine but wouldn't kick over after cranking several times for 20 or 30 seconds each time. I thought is was flooded so I floored the accelerator and eventually it started. This happed for 3 to 4 days leaving home and leaving work. Once it started, it ran fine, and started fine if I just shut off while warm to get gas or go into store. The last day I couldn't get it started so it's been sitting since than. I did a fuel pressure check and the pressure goes up to 46-48 psi which is within the spec. The pressure went from 48 to 35 psi in 10 minutes 1st time, and 46 to 26 in 30 minutes 2nd time. This leakdown rate seems to be within limits from my Haynes repair manual, but I assume that a leaky injector must be my problem, do you agree? How do I determine what injector is leaking, at $73 apiece I don't want to just go out & buy a set of 6. What would be your suggestion on figuring out this problem?

Iroc_Russ
Saturday, February 9th, 2008 AT 12:36 PM

Hook up the gauge and turn key to On get the reading -monitor the pressure for atleast 5mins-if it drops fast to zero within that 5mins-it leaking pressure could be the fuel pressure regulator or injector/s

Try running the fuel pressure check again this time with and without vacuum at the fuel pressure regulator. While engine is running.

To test the injector you have to remove it -
Saturday, February 9th, 2008 AT 4:59 PM
IROC_RUSS
I did the 5 minute test as stated in my first note. As I said the pressure went down but did not go below the acceptable pressure within the allowed time (lower than 30 psi within 5 minutes) as the manual suggest, although it went down to 35 psi in 10 minutes. My question was even though my pressure did not go below the stated 30 psi within 5 minutes, do you think that the injectors are the problem? If so how do I figure out which one is leaking through? If the regulator was leaking I believe it would be back to the fuel tank, thus would not be leaking back to the cylinder and causing hard starting. As soon as I turn the key on the pressure goes up immediately. I'm sure the reason the vehicle doesn't start easy is because it's flooded, but after it does start it runs fine. My pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump module on the top of my fuel tank, so it is not easily accessible, what other suggestions would you have about this. Is there anything other than the injectors you think could be the problem?

Saturday, February 9th, 2008 AT 5:57 PM
Inspect the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose for fuel-if the diagphram is leaking fuel will be sucked into the intake manifold.

The coolant temperature sensor throws fuel to it for initial cold starts and if its lock in open loop mode it will constantly be running rich-same goes with the oxygen sensor.

Injector and the regulator will be the only place for it to leak and dump fuel
Saturday, February 9th, 2008 AT 7:28 PM