1999 Dodge Dakota engine ran, quit and wont start

GCSGC
  • 1999 DODGE DAKOTA
The truck ran I parked it and I went to start it, it stutterd and stalled. Wont start now. Put it in the shop and checked all fuses and relys all checks out good. If your familiar with the wireing, the two wires that go to the pickup coil are green with orange stripe and black with gray stipe. When testing for power, the green has power for about two seconds when I turn the key on, same with black. The two seconds is the same time the fuel pumps kicks on when you turn the key on. Take the rely out and the power to the rely is the same two seconds. When I crank the engine, the test light shown no power. I checked that there is fuel by pressing the bleed off valve on the injection supply line. I have not pulled the spark plug out to test for spark beause of the power issue. Also the coil, cap, wires, and plugs are all new one year ago, I took that all apart and it all looks clean, also now corrosian in any conections. I hope this is a thurough diagnosis, if you can help, that would be great. Thank you, sam
Thursday, January 1st, 2009 AT 10:53 PM

Sam:
that was a great diagnosis. Now the question is why isn't the coil getting power for mor than two seconds. I believe there is an ignition relay in the power distribution box. If you are not getting power to it, my concern is the computer. You may want to have it checked.

Let me know what you find.

Friday, January 2nd, 2009 AT 1:04 AM
GCSGC
Hi thanks for responding. Yes I checked the power supply to the rely, the power supply cuts out after two seconds. No keep in mind, I tested it again today with the same results, two seconds, and then I cranked it again, and I fired, so I got jumper cables the battery was getting down, and I started it up and it ran didnt want to idle very good, but after I rand it for a couple minuits it idled fine. I left for the day, came back and it started right up again, I drove I around for 15 min, it was fine. Went to leave town and it quit again. Came back in an hour, put jumpers on agiain, dumped gas in it, thought it might be that stupid of a gas gage not working, and it fired up and idled on its own for five minuites and it stalled again. I cant get it started now again. I did all the same things I did before to get it started. Im wondering if it is the ignition coil itself. I did not put a test light on the green wire when it was running, I was just so excited that it was runing I took it for a drive. Thanks for your respons this has shore throne a big curve at me.
Friday, January 2nd, 2009 AT 8:09 PM
When you check for spark, are you getting a good blue spark?
Friday, January 2nd, 2009 AT 10:36 PM
GCSGC
I have not pulled a spark plug out, but we did use a screwdirver in the wire but things are so corroded that we didnt get a spark I think due to a bad ground. Also ive been researching how to test the ignition coil and I think we kinda did it today as well we wernt getting any readings but we may have been doing it wrong. Also do you know the correct resistance for the coil and wires? Im kinda leaning twards the coil cus I was told if there going bad then they may work when its cold but when they warm up they quit. Thats kinda sounding like it but I dont know yet. I wanna be sure how to properly test it out. Thanks for responding so quick, sam
Friday, January 2nd, 2009 AT 10:51 PM