1998 Dodge Dakota truck dies no warning randomly

RJFKII
  • 1998 DODGE DAKOTA
I have a 98 dakota and for the past 2 months I have been dealing with this problem. The truck will die and act as if it is flooded when I try to restart. After 1 or 2 minutes it starts. There is no engine light. It happens at idle and while driving. About 1 month ago I thought it was bad gas since my wife's buick was having similar problems. I used octane booster in both cars and problem went away for a month. We also started getting gas somewhere else. Now the problems are back in both cars. The dakota is having worse problems. We moved here(albuquerque) last year and the octane levels here are lower than it Texas. Can this be the problem? I have replaced air filter on dakota and I don't think it is engine related due to no check engine light. Please help. Robert
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008 AT 5:57 PM

Hi:

Have you had anything checked to this point. It could be several things. First, is there a check eng light on?

Let me know,
Thursday, October 2nd, 2008 AT 11:22 AM
RJFKII
Hi joe, as I stated in the question, there is no check engine light. Truck runs great until this happens. Given the fact that there is no check engine light, it seems to me to not be a sensor or electronic issue, which leaves mechanical or fuel flow issues. The question if this is true is, is it the fuel pump or the gas in the tank, or the fuel filter which is on the fuel pump. Is there any way for me to determine what is causing this problem without replacing the $250.00 fuel pump?
Also as I stated in the original question, I changed the air filter and added octane boost and fuel treatment. That seemed to work for a month but now is not. Since then I have run the gas tank almost out of gas, the problems seem to get worse as I get lower on gas. I then filled it up and the problem returned with a full tank. The problem does not happen on my way to work, but happens on the way back in the afternoon. My work is downhill from my house. So this leads me to believe that something is in the fuel tank moving to clog the filter or it has something to do with the temperature being 50-60 degrees in the morning when I go to work and 75-85 degrees when coming home. What are your thoughts? The truck has 130,000 miles on it. Thank you for your help.
Thursday, October 2nd, 2008 AT 10:04 PM
Hi:
At this point, I would suggest that the fuel pump be checked for both pressure and volume. Based on your description of the problem, the pump sounds bad to me.

It is common for the pump to cause the symptoms you have described. Especially the fact that you have the trouble on your way home (up hill) when the greatest load is placed on it.

If you have never checked fuel pump pressure / volume, I would suggest having a mechanic do it for you.

If you have any further questions, let me know, and I'll do my best to help you.

Friday, October 3rd, 2008 AT 6:37 AM