1998 Dodge Dakota Random Stalls

STEVO_L33
  • 1998 DODGE DAKOTA
Hi, my problem is that my truck will randomly stall out during all types of driving conditions. Whether the climate is hot or cold or if the engine is hot or cold. If I drive fast, slow or sitting idle it will do the same. I have replaced the fuel pump, O2 sensors, Throttle Position sensor, Air Idle Control, cleaned the carburetor and done a complete tune-up. Please help!
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 AT 5:57 PM

Hi:
Will the engine die at highway speed while you're on the gas? Also, when it dies, how long does it take until it will restart? Finally is the check engine light coming on? It sounds like it could be a map sensor, but I can't tell you for sure without a code.

Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 9:30 PM
STEVO_L33
At highway speeds, it hesitates briefly but keeps going since the gas pedal is down. When it dies, it will start back up immediately. And finally, part of the problem is that the check engine light has never come on while doing this. Thanks for your impute on the MAP sensor, I will try that. I appreciate any help so much.
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 4:15 PM
Hi:
Even if the check eng light isn't on, there could be a code stored in the computer. Give it a shot and take it to a nationally recognized parts stores that scan cars for free. It may help.

Let me know what you find out.

Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 9:12 PM
STEVO_L33
Hey Joe, yep sure enough there was a code stored in the system and it was the crank sensor that was acting up. It wasn't giving spark to the distributor. So I replaced it and now it works fine! Just thought I would let you know since you asked and to let others know for the future as Dakota's and this subject seem to get asked a lot. Thanks again!
Friday, November 14th, 2008 AT 2:46 PM