1998 Dodge Dakota Engine overheating

SELDEEN
  • 1998 DODGE DAKOTA
Coolant has been spilling out of engine (not sure from where) when parked after normal driving. Will not happen if I leave heater on, but will still run hot.
Saturday, November 1st, 2008 AT 6:30 PM

Hi:
It could be a few different things. Just so you know, when the heater is on, the heater core acts as a small radiator which helps cool the antifreeze. Regardless, the cheapest and easiest thing is to replace the thermostat. If that doesn't work, check the radiator for corrosion. It may need to be flushed or rodded out. Finally, can you tell where the coolant is leaking from?

Let me know what you find. And if you have any questions, let me know.

Saturday, November 1st, 2008 AT 10:20 PM
SELDEEN
I replaced the thermostat and flushed out system and it seemed to help some but after 15 to 20 min. Of highway driving it will begin to overheat again. Hasn't leaked coolant again, but it looked like it was coming from the bottom hose into the radiator.
Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 AT 9:59 PM
Hi:

Is it still overheating?
Thursday, November 6th, 2008 AT 10:29 AM
SELDEEN
Yes, it's still overheating. I changed the thermostat and had it flushed out. It hasn't leaked coolant again but I've had to keep the heat on to prevent it from going above 210. I checked and it seems the leak from before was coming from the lower connection to the radiator. It takes 15-20 min for it to begin to overheat and I can keep it down if I run the heater on full blast. The radiator fan is running. I'm not sure how to check for the radiator itself to be plugged or corroded.

Thanks for your help,

Sam
Thursday, November 6th, 2008 AT 2:49 PM
Hi:

I want you to check something. When the vehicle is in the process of overheating, open the hood, with a light look, check the lower radiator hose. See if it is colapsing.

As far as the radiator, you will need to find a place near you that will boil or rod out the radiator. What happens is the coolant tubes clog from corrosion. As a result, the coolant doesn't circulate. Thus, the car overheats.

Let me know about the rad hose. Check the top hose too.

Thursday, November 6th, 2008 AT 5:06 PM
SELDEEN
HI:

haven't responded back to this problem due to freezing temperatures outside have made it impossible to work on truck.
The cold temporarily solved the problem but with warmer weather this past weekend the problem is back. Checked the hoses and they aren't collapsing. I'm guessing this means radiator is the problem? Also The check engine light came on while pulling into the drive way, gave a P0132 code (scanner said it was the governor pressure sensor voltage was to high). The truck seems to have very little power until 30-35mph although not much better after that. Has a severe leak of tranny fluid which I can't tell if it's a hose or the main seal. Could this leak be causing the problem? I read online that that code was an o2 issue. Not sure where to start.

Thanks for your help
Monday, March 23rd, 2009 AT 10:09 PM
If everything has already been replaced, either the radiator is the problem, the engine is out of time (which would cause it to run poorly), or you have a bad head gasket.

I would start by having the radiator tested.

Tuesday, March 24th, 2009 AT 7:16 AM