1998 Dodge Dakota Dash instruments dont work but all fuses

SJUDICE
  • 1998 DODGE DAKOTA

1998 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 105 miles

The dash instruments and all warning lights went out, but all the fuses seem OK. This includes the spedometer, odometer (LED), fuel, tach, charge, idiot lights. But not the dash illuminating light, or the dash light that comes on when you turn on the headlights. I cant seem to pin down the problem, and before ordering lots of stuff (Like BCM) I would really like to see if I can definitively narrow it down. All other electrical things seem to work, but the right blinker blinks fast even though the both front and rear bulbs are OK. All other things in the car seem fine; even the lighter, internal lights, radio, fan, etc. It JUST seems to be the dash. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

Monday, May 17th, 2010 AT 11:00 AM

Have the body control module (BCM) checked.

Let me know what you find.

Wednesday, May 19th, 2010 AT 1:41 PM
SJUDICE

Thanks Joe,

Having someone else check the BCM will cost more than just getting a new one on Ebay. So, would that be the way to go? I could figure out how to change it out myself.

Wednesday, May 19th, 2010 AT 3:57 PM

That is where I would start, but I don't like replacing parts without knowing they are bad. I would hate to have you replace it and still have a problem.

Wednesday, May 19th, 2010 AT 11:37 PM
SJUDICE

How would one check it to see if it were still good without taking it to the dealer. There does not seem to be a cheaper alternative; but I am sure that Im missing some important piece of information. Thanks.

Thursday, May 20th, 2010 AT 7:04 AM

Honestly, you need the proper test equipment.

Thursday, May 20th, 2010 AT 7:24 AM
SJUDICE

I dont suppose that you know where exactly this thing is? From what I can gather, it is behind the fuse box on the driver side kick panel, and also goes by the name CTM (central timing module) and possibly ECM (but Im not too sure about this one).

Thursday, May 20th, 2010 AT 9:29 AM