RF BRAKE LOCKING UP

1996 Dodge Dakota

azvampyre

May, 26, 2009 AT 10:30 PM

Brakes problem
1996 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 98,000 miles

The right front brake on my 96 dodge dakota keeps locking up. I replaced the calipers last weekend and it did it again, left front, and both rears are fine.
My guess would be that the passenger side brake hose is old and cracked inside turning it into a sort of check valve letting the fluid through, but not back out?
I'd really appreciate a second opinion. Thank You.

May, 26, 2009 AT 10:40 PM

Could be the brake hose collasped internally acting as a check valve won't hurt to investigate

caradiodoc

May, 27, 2009 AT 10:59 PM

Never saw this problem in 26 years working on cars, then saw it on two vehicles in two weeks. The first was one of my Caravans that sat outside all winter.

Look for a metal bracket attached to the center of the rubber brake hose. Rust builds up inside where it's crimped around the hose and pinches it off. Use a channel lock pliers to open the crimp just a little. You can prove this is the problem by opening the bleeder screw. There will be a tiny spurt of brake fluid and the caliper will release.

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Light Bulb Replacement