1995 Dodge Dakota

Engine Cooling problem
1995 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual

How do I get to the thermostat bots. They're stuffed down under the inlet hose from the radiator, heater core hose, and the a/c hoses. They'res a bracket that holds the a/c hoses connected to the top of the motor with double nuts that I can't budge.
Also I can't get to the back bolt of my starter because it is behind the front diff. The bolts are tight how do I get the bolts loose w/o breaking them?
Please help!
3.9L V6

Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 12:40 AM

Drain the cooling system to below the level of the thermostat.

When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container.

For 1994-96 V6 and V8 models equipped with air conditioning:
Remove the support bracket (rod) located near the rear of the alternator.
Remove the drive belt.
Partially remove the alternator by removing the necessary alternator bolts. If equipped with 4WD, unplug the 4WD indicator lamp harness (at the rear of the unit).
Remove the alternator. Position it to gain access for thermostat gasket removal.

Remove the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing. Note the positioning of the thermostat. It is important that the thermostat is correctly installed.
Withdraw the housing bolts and remove the housing and the thermostat.

To install, use a new gasket and position the thermostat so that its pellet end (the part with the spring) is toward the engine block. On the 3.9L engine, the vent hole must be up. Refit the thermostat housing and tighten its securing bolts to 25-30 ft. lbs. (34-41 Nm).
Connect the upper radiator hose.
On 1994-96 V6 and V8 models, install the alternator.
On 2.5L engines, remove the hex-head plug or vacuum switching valve on the thermostat housing. Fill the radiator with coolant until the coolant come out the plug hole. Install the plug or valve and continue to fill the radiator.

On V6 and V8 engines, fill the cooling system to 1.25 in. (32mm) below the filler neck with the correct water and antifreeze mixture. Warm the engine and inspect the upper radiator hose and the thermostat housing for leaks.

Exploded view of the thermostat and water box-2.5L engine

To loosen bolts easier, soak them with penetrating oil such as WD-40 for a few minutes before trying to remove bolt.

Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 12:53 AM