1992 Dodge Dakota Starting

LIV2RIDE
  • 1992 DODGE DAKOTA
1992 Dodge Dakota V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

shutoff truck and will not turn over again.
Can jump across solenoid to start with key on. Checked all fuses and breakers. Can hear relay click no remote power to starter. Replaced neutral safety switch. Still no remote power. Ran AC for first time that day. Seems to draw down on volt guage as soon as key is on. Have not checked switch, but its not very old less than 10,000 miles ago. Is ther anything else to check. It runs fine I just have to jump the solenoid to start.
Thursday, May 7th, 2009 AT 10:51 PM

RACEFAN966
I would go to your local parts store and have them do a charging system and starter test. It sounds like you may have a bad starter.
Saturday, May 9th, 2009 AT 8:35 AM
FLATFENDER
Same problem but starter checks out fine and battery meters out to 12.6 volts.
Can the relay still be bad if it clicks when trying to start.
Which female slot in the mounting base of the relay would I check for contenuity to the solinoid.

Edit- relay metered out ok
Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 4:18 PM
DCLERGET
Another user told me a different solution to the same problem I was having with mine. The issue ended up being that I had worn solenoid connections. He suggested that the dealer has an inexpensive repair kit for the problem, but I had my entire starter replaced (truck is so old, it probably needed a new one anyway).
Friday, August 14th, 2009 AT 6:00 PM
FLATFENDER
After mine drove me nuts for 2 weeks I went to start replacing the cheapest easiest parts first. So after looking at a Haynes manual I took of the column switch to bring it with me to the parts store, when I went to take out the tumbler it came out in two pieces, yup the stupid tumbler was broke. So after spending $54 at the parts store I came home tossed the new tumbler in and presto, she starts.
One good thing that came out of this, I now know the entire starting system like the back of my hand.
Saturday, August 15th, 2009 AT 11:33 AM