Overdrive

RICKY601
  • 1992 DODGE DAKOTA

Transmission problem 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 195000 miles

My Dakota will not shift into overdrive. It used to after 5 or 6 miles of driving. Now it won't shift at all. Also at about 55mph it starts missing and backfiring. When I ease up off the gas it will run right. But that don't work too good going up hill.

Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 3:13 PM

It sound like the overdrive control solenoid has gone out. Here is a guide and some diagram (Below) to help you get the the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-service-an-automatic-transmission

Also, I need you to check something. Get in the truck and place the key in the ignition. Cycle the key from off to the run position 3 times (do not start engine). On the 3rd time, let the key stay in the run position. The check engine light will begin to flash codes.

The codes for a 92 are 2 digit numbers. The light will flash then there will be a sligh pause and it will start again to identify the 2nd number of the code. After it finishes the code, there will be a longer pause and it will move on to the next.

Count the flashes to keep track of the codes. Let me know if there are any and what they are if you find any.

I got you beat (but not by much), my 92 has 220K on it and going strong. It has a 5 speed which will outlast the truck. I use it to haul, plow snow, tow a motorcycle trailer... I love it. We'll figure your problem out. Just hang in there.

At this point, something tells me the torque converter isn't locking up to give you OD, but the backfiring and missing has added a new problem.

Let me know about the code. Also, when you get to code 55, that indicates it has finished.

Let me know what happens

Cheers, Joe

-1
Saturday, November 7th, 2009 AT 10:41 PM
RICKY601

I checked the codes and the only code I get was a 55. I also went ahead and put some plug wires and a fuel filter on it. It's still doing it. Then I changed the overdrive solenoid and it works prefect, I love this site.

Thanks. I do appreciate your help.

-1
Monday, November 9th, 2009 AT 4:50 PM

Please use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Please tell a friend.

Cheers, Joe

-1
Monday, November 9th, 2009 AT 7:26 PM
DAN KARP
  • 1992 DODGE DAKOTA

1992 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 167, 00 miles

I hit a bump the overdrive stoped working, cruise control quit, car stalls when you exit freeway, make right or left turn this happened intermittenly over past 2 years now it is constantly

-1
Friday, October 6th, 2017 AT 5:37 PM (Merged)
2CARPROS KEN

Hey Dan

This sounds like you have a problem with the wiring connector at the transmission can you get under the truck and wiggle the connector to see if it is loose or has a bad connection please?

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

HRGRANY
  • 1992 DODGE DAKOTA

1992 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic lots miles

ok when you star getting around 50 mph and on up ito 65 it starts this jumping in and out of overdrive constantly and just jerking the truck along with this back fire in there som times, and no matter what you do you have no control over it, but once it gets up to 70 mph and on up it just stays in overdrive period but the jerky part stops, we took it to the Dodge house they kept it 3 days and could not figure it out but they charged me 500.00 for time tryin too, so then I took it to a amcoo transmisson shop they had it a week charged 1, ooo. Oo replaced the o/d button and told me to never use it, sounded odd but I had never used it anyway as I do not tow anyways, so I just dont need that button, but about a yr. Later the very same problem comes back, so I decide to see if pushing this button would help at all, guess what that dumb button dont even work, never did, the light on it didnt even try to come on, I know the old one lite up, so I guess he did something but god knows what im sure not going back to get another 1,000.00button that dont work, just to drive it another yr. There has to be someone that knows what is causeing this, please help! We have spent so much money and replaced so much stuff on that truck but nothing is working, thanks

HRGRANY

Uumm I guess as usual this one has everyone stumped! Thanks for tryin guys

DHOLLOWAY049
  • 1992 DODGE DAKOTA

My vehicle is not kicking into overdrive. It idles at normal (around 900) but going fifty five mph it runs at about 3000 rpm. I have the switch and I think its blown out because the light in it does not come on. I checked the fuse and it is in tact. Also, it is getting juice to the fuse. Is there a way to put a jump wire onto it?

Have this scanned for codes. It may be more than what you are trying to do.

BRENDABOOM
  • 1993 DODGE DAKOTA

1993 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

we rebuilt the transfer case and took it for a test run all was good. Next day we had no cruise control or over drive. Any ideas?

CH112063

The powertrain control module determines speed via the VSS. It's usually mounted on the final output shaft on either 2 or 4WD. It includes a wire connector, which could be off. A plastic gear which gets worn down, and the vehicle speed sensor itself, which may be bad. I have a feeling the connector may not be hooked up or there could also be a problem with continuity from the connector to the PCM or the body connector, where the transmission harness and engine harness meet. Hope it helps. I used to forget to hook it up(once or twice). Yeah.

JGBOAT
  • 1994 DODGE DAKOTA

Have no overdrive. Switch has power on and off. No codes just first, second before third Ed. No overdrive power to speedometer. Is it a solenoid?

Scan for codes this may be a few things like a clutch burnt out. Could be a solenoid, but scanning will or should tell. Follow instructions in picture to get codes then get back to us. Make sure fluid level is full.

MYFIRSTDAKOTA
  • 1994 DODGE DAKOTA

1994 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 144000 miles

Code 45 and 37 changed all the sensors on the tranny nutral, speed / Just bought the truck less than 48 hrs ago. I am noticing when driving it will shift all three gears fine but not go into fourth. I want to know what is causing this.
The o/d switch on the dash board is not working either and I checked it is getting power from the fuse panel it wont turn on or off. The vehicle is running as if overdrive is off constant and I need it to be on constant. Does anyone know how to fix this and if so please let me know.
All fuses good. Previous owner did some shabby electrical hook up to radio and radio is not working at all I am wondering if these two problems are similar. The radio is showing power at the fuse block but not at the radio.. Could he have shorted out the PCM? Please help

Is the OD light flashing? Also, I believe the OD switch is on the shifter. Did you remove it to check it? You said it is getting power in. Is it getting power out?

MYFIRSTDAKOTA

The switch is on the dash. Above the headlamp switch. The switch is getting power from the fuse panel to the switch (checked with a test light) All wires to the switch are showing power besides the grounds I believe. It is throwing a code 45 and 37 which both mean I have a open or short circut to the transmission overdrive silenoid. I know the kid who played electrician did something. The radio wires were all cut and he had the radio straight wired to the battery. I changed all the wires back where they go but my radio still isnt in working order. On top of this I found a huge NO NO (wires) Jumped where the radio fuse was supposed to be and (wire) in where the OD fuse is supposed to go. I removed all the wire and put back fuses. The fuses are not blowing. I checked the wires coming from the fuse panel for these items and they are showing power now. (When I press the O/D switch it does nothing.) I have changed all sensors related to the tranny and no change. I am stumped now can you please give me advice to point in the right direction? I took the whole dash board appart and inspected the wire harness and found no burnt wires or damage. Please advise. I am burning a ton of gas driving around in the hauling gears. I need to have overdrive active.

+1

THis isn't going to be an easy one. If I understand correctly, there is no power from where he ran a wire for a fuse (really smart). Have you checked the power distribution box under the hood for any burnt fuses?

-1
RICHMC7
  • 1997 DODGE DAKOTA

1997 Dodge Dakota V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

The overdrive light comes on intermittently during normal driving. I'm not passing or going up hills. The transmission drops a gear. Is this a computer problem or the overdrive switch?

JACK42

Need to scan the PCM to find out. It could be either, but the PCM should have seen a failure and stored a code

RICHMC7

I should have mentioned in my original post that I hooked up my reader to the PCM and there were no codes. Would the codes thrown by these problems reset after a restart?

Friday, October 6th, 2017 AT 5:38 PM (Merged)