1992 Dodge Dakota No spark

HANKGOTTI
  • 1992 DODGE DAKOTA
Hello my dakota died going down the road and wouldnt restart so I got to looking around and decided to change the crank sensor ok truck runs for 10-20 min dies no ground pulse from pcm to coil. Ok play around for a day nothing got another crank sensor truck ran for 10-20 min died again no ground pulse. Ok so I buy a new cam sensor no change no start. Ok I confirmed circuits good 8.75v on orange wire connects to #7 of pcm ok 5.0v on gray/black wire connects to #24 of pcm. Ground checks out good. Ok so I monitor for for signal reaching pcm it does. All same for cam sensor but I still cannot get a ground pulse from the pcm to the coil. It just stays constantly grounded. Forgot to add have replaced computer also
Sunday, October 31st, 2010 AT 3:44 PM

You know, I read this post today at 8:30 AM. It has been on my mind all day. Something just popped into my mind about the problem, now that it is 11:00PM. On the passanger side inner fender is a huge wiring harness to the PCM. If I remember correctly, there is a wiring splice about 1 to 2 feet into the harness. (It has been a while so bear with me). If I remember, the wire is either white with a red tracer or red with a white tracer and where the splice is located, the solder and joint corroded causing a bad connection and the loss of spark.

Check into that. It has been about 10 years since I delt with the last one, so check all splices in that area or a corrosion issue.

Let me know what you find. Also, the wire colors I listed (I think) are correct. Again, check all splices. I know it wasn't more than 2 feet into the harness, so you will need to cut the friction tape to access it.

Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010 AT 10:04 PM
HANKGOTTI
Ok will check it out I checked all splices under the Power distribution center I will pull the harness apart on the passenger side tomorrow after work. I do belive you may be on too something because thinking about it almost every time I have really dug into that area to change out crank sensors the truck has started and ran for few minutes. Do you know what this wire controls? Because I can read the computer so it shouldnt be power. Unless its a secondary or something because I cant never seem to clear code 12. BTW code 12 and 55 is all the computer gives me even after a failure of spark in mid running.
Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010 AT 10:34 PM
I wish I could remember. Like I said, it has been awhile. It drove me crazy yesterday thinking about it because I remembered dealing with similar problems in the past. The wire had delt directly with the ignition system receiving power, but the exact thing, I can't remember.

Please let me know what you find. This is driving me nuts too. I wish I was there to dig into it.
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 7:32 AM
HANKGOTTI
Ok took cover off of entire harness from pcm to pdc discovered the garage we paid to install a new wiring harness used one from a diffrent year and had to splice all the sensor connections with the ones from the old harness the factory splices you mentioned were found I found about 6 total within 3 feet from the pcm. All factory splices are perfect. However the masses of tape the garage used to retape after there splices was full of chalky yelowish green powder I think it is wire corrosion in fact I almost know it is but it was all through the tape does this happen? I havent had a chance to check these makeshift splices the garage made. I ran out of daylight so guess thats for tommorow. Also the part of harness that is split by a big plug and runs down to crank sensor and back along the transsmision to the vss and heated o2 sensors all the wires that rest on the back of the engine head are stuck together not melted there just all fused together do you know if they used an adhesive on the wires? Im surprised that I the crank and cam sensors circuit are still good despite the mess this harness is in. Its killing me to know why the computer holds a constant ground on the coil. I know the coil circuit is good not shorted to ground.
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 7:10 PM
They don't use an adhesive. The wires must be partially melted together. As far as the green residue you mentioned, that is the corrosion that I mentioned. It sounds like you have a nightmare on your hands. The ground issue could be one of the wires that are partially melted together.

Take your time and try to repair what was incorrectly done. I believe you found where the problem is located, now which wire is the problem is the next thing.

Let me know what you find.
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 AT 7:33 AM