1992 Dodge Dakota Engine Backfire and Miss

CHROMEDOMEAUTO
  • 1992 DODGE DAKOTA
Engine will back fire and miss when started. If shut off and restarted right away it will run perfect until shut off again. Souds like it iis out of time. I have replaced the cam and crank sensors, o2, ECM, cap, rotor, plugs, coil and TPS. Also replaced the fuel pump. Pressure is at 40 psi. The timing is on and the wires check out. I have a hand held scope and every sensor checks out. I have checked all the grounds and they seem fine. I took it to the local Dodge dealer and they thought it was the cat plugging up. I had done a back pressure check already but I opened the system up and tried it. Same result. There is no SES light. I did swap the ASD relay. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 2:50 PM

Have you checked the MAP sensor? I had the same truck and the thing would back fire and die. THen it would restart and run fine. It took an onboard scanner to identify a voltage drop from the map sensor before I fixed it. You may want to check it out. It's located on the front of the throttle body and requires (if I remember correctly) a T-25 torex to remove 2 screws.

Let me know what you find.

Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 11:11 PM
CHROMEDOMEAUTO
I had already scaned the MAP and tried running the engine with it disconnected so the ECM would set a default value, but at theis point I am willing to try anything, so I got another MAP and tried it. Still does the same thing. I have also ohmed and checked the injectors. The question is would would reset after the restart that woulod make it run fine?
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 11:24 AM
I'm not sure I understand your final question.
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 12:52 PM
CHROMEDOMEAUTO
It was not really a question. I was just saying that I tried a new MAP today and the vehicle still did the same thing. I had forgot to mention that I had checked the injectors in the original post so I added that before anyone suggested them.
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 3:30 PM
CHROMEDOMEAUTO
The final line should have said, What would reset in the system after a restart that would allow the vehicle to run fine?
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 3:32 PM