1991 Dodge Dakota maintenance needed light

LITTLE AL 1
  • 1991 DODGE DAKOTA
How di I reset maintenance needed light?
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 8:21 PM

Have you run codes?
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 12:54 PM
One of two possibilities. Sorry, can't remember which year they changed over.

On newer vehicles, you need a Chrysler scanner, the DRB2, (Diagnostic Readout Box version 2). It's listed as "SRI Reset" but I can't remember what "SRI" stands for.

You might be able to reset the light with newer after-market scanners but that option wasn't available a few years ago.

On older Dakotas, there is a black box behind the glove box. It's about 3" x 2" x 1 1/2". It has a 9 volt transistor battery that slides out of the end. Leave the battery connected. On the side of the box, near the battery end, is a tiny hole. Stick a straightened paper clip through the hole to press a small microswitch. The switch would be blocked by the battery if you didn't remove it. I can't remember if the ignition switch needs to be on or off when you press the switch. You're supposed to replace the battery at the same time. Just unplugging the battery won't turn the light off.

This light is only on vehicles with truck exhaust systems, which includes minivans, and is supposed to turn on at 90,000, 120,000, and 180,000 miles plus or minus depending on number of key cycles.

Thursday, March 19th, 2009 AT 6:01 PM