1991 Dodge Dakota gas gauge

DN_MARTZ
  • 1991 DODGE DAKOTA
Hello-- I bought this truck a little over a year ago knowing the gas gauge didnt work---the man I bought it from said that a garage mechanic informed him that it needed a sending unit in the gas tank--- not wanting to spend the money at that time he just went by the low gas warning icon--- I recently droped the tank and replaced the sending unit---now its worse---it not only still dont read---but the low gas warning light stays lighted all the time---now I have to go by mileage.--Needle on gas gauge stays below the empty mark all the time. It does move slightly when filling tank. It makes me think that the float arm is stuck in the down position. Thanks ---don m

updated 8-2-09
to jacob and nickolas---on this one the sending unit just bolts on to the filter--- the box removal probly is easier but I work alone and in my driveway--will check out grd. You mentioned---thanks don
Saturday, August 1st, 2009 AT 10:55 PM

I agree with you. Did you replace the fuel pump and sender at the same time. If I remember correctly, in 91 they were one part. Also, was the wiring in good condition including the ground? Remember, it's a plastic tank and needs the ground sent to it.

Let me know. Also, in the future, I found that it is actually faster to remove the bed rather than the tank. It's held on by 8 bolts and comes right off. I know it sounds crazy, but it is easier.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 12:30 AM
Let me know what you find.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 8:08 PM
DN_MARTZ
Hello--the sending unit on this is held on to the fuel pump with 3 small bolts.--- Will check out grd. As you suggested---years ago there use to be a regulator under the dash which tied in with your fuel gauge.-- (MANY years ago). I need a good wireing schemetic-- don
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 9:09 PM
Don,
I tried to find a schematic for you, but can't find anything that would help. Even if I did, when I copy and paste, you can't read what it says. Check to make sure there is a good ground and let me know what you find.
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 12:11 AM
Don't know if this applies, but on 1990s minivans, the float arm is held on by one plastic finger. If you pop the arm off, you can bend the metal contact arm so it makes better contact. It was REAL common for the gauge to read properly from full to half tank, then drop to "empty" until it got down to 1/4 tank at which time it would read correctly again.

In your case, the float is most likely rotated down too far to where it's stuck on the bottom of the tank. This can happen when the tank is at a severe angle when you put the unit in. What Jacobandnickolas said about removing the box, and installing the sending unit when the tank is at least 1/4 full will help prevent this from happening again.

Saturday, August 8th, 2009 AT 12:49 AM
DN_MARTZ
Thanks for the new info-- will slide box back as that does sound easier---will take unit out of tank and manually operate lift arm and see whats going on---thanks again--don
+1
Saturday, August 8th, 2009 AT 7:31 AM
DN_MARTZ
Hello---i didnt pull box as suggested---(these 76 year old mussels dont work like they use to.) -But I did keep 1/4 tank of gas in it like you said---and it must have been stuck on bottom as I dry tried it and it regestered good.--Put it back together and all is well. Thanks for the good info.-- (Im getting to old for this s---.) Don
+1
Saturday, August 22nd, 2009 AT 3:14 PM
I understand. It can be heavy. Regardless, I'm glad it's fixed. And a special thanks to caradiodoc. Let us know if you have questions in the future, and thanks for using 2carpros. Com.

Saturday, August 22nd, 2009 AT 4:21 PM