1989 Dodge Dakota will not shift

PROJECT37
  • 1989 DODGE DAKOTA
This happened all of a sudden with no warning signs I tried starting the truck and it jumped. I started it in neutral but I can't put in gear. We checked the transmission fluid and it was full. Do you think our problem may be the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder?
Thursday, August 27th, 2009 AT 5:42 PM

MHPAUTOS
HI there,

Check that the clutch fluid is full and, do you have good pedal pressure, have some one watch the slave cylinder rod while you press the pedal, is it moving? If all this looks fine and there are no fluid leaks, I feel that the problem will be internal, possibly a stuck clutch plate,

mark (mhpautos)
Thursday, August 27th, 2009 AT 8:06 PM
PROJECT37
The fluid level was fine and the peddle was fine. When he took out the slave and I pushed a little on the clutch the rod moved. So is there a way to get the clutch plate unstuck?
Friday, August 28th, 2009 AT 9:50 PM
MHPAUTOS
Bump start it in 2nd or 3rd gear and go for a drive if you can it may free up when the clutch & fly wheel get a bit of heat into it, that is if it is stuck, this is just my impression at the moment. If it is stuck it will still be in drive with the clutch in and selected in a gear.

Friday, August 28th, 2009 AT 10:30 PM
PROJECT37
I guesse it was stuck for a while I went out and started the truck today and it shifted just fine.
Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 7:35 PM
MHPAUTOS
OK, thats good but remember that there may be a small problem in there, it will not hang up for no reason, keep an eye on things like coolant (a coolant leak at the back of the block may spray water onto the clutch) transmission and oil leaks as well.

Good luck,

Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 8:01 PM
PROJECT37
A mud dauber built a nest in out timing belt and the belt broke when we tried to start the truck maybe they made a nest in the clutch as well and it worked free.
Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 9:03 PM
MHPAUTOS
Well I'm not that sure what one of those is, as live in Australia, we don't have them here I think, well not by that name anyway, just a s long as your driving again, good luck with it.

Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 10:40 PM