1989 Dodge Dakota 89 Dakota 2.5, no spark

FERINO68
  • 1989 DODGE DAKOTA
My truck was running ok, then one day it would not start after driving it for a while. After about 15 minutes it started. A couple of days later, it won't start still. Ran a wire from the positve cable to the coil and it started, but removed wire and it died. Replace plugs, rotor, wires, cap, ignigtion starter switch (my friend said it may be bad), and the coil. Still no spark from the coil when turning over. Any help would be huge.
Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 5:07 PM

Ran a wire from the positve cable to the coil and it started, but removed wire and it died.

The ASD relay powers the coil swap/replace it and see what happens
Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 5:20 PM
FERINO68
I relaced the ASD Relay, which was actually bad, and it still will does not get power to the coil or the fuel pump. A jumper wire to the coil gets the pump going. What else could it be. As I said before, I replaced the ignition starter switch, ASD Relay and regular tune up items. What next?
Monday, April 20th, 2009 AT 8:10 PM
Check for power at the ASD relay socket red wire -you should have it, if not test the white fusible link
+2
Monday, April 20th, 2009 AT 9:46 PM
FERINO68
Yea, I checked it out before I installed the relay and it had power. I was so bummed when it didn't start because it made so much sense that it would be the problem, especially since the old one had arc marks all over it and had a 2/97 date on it so it had been replaced before. Any other ideas? Could the PCM be bad?
Monday, April 20th, 2009 AT 10:39 PM
Could be the PCM not grounding the ASD relay to transfer power to the coil/fuel pump
Monday, April 20th, 2009 AT 10:47 PM
FERINO68
How would I test that? I will be more then happy to send more donation money if this works. It is so frustrating. Thanks!
Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 8:17 PM
At the ASD relay socket with dark blue wire turn ignition On do you have power on it? If so check the continuity between the dark blue/yellow at the ASD relay socket wire all the way to the computer pin#58 K19 dark blue and yellow do you have continuity if so the computer controlled of the ASD relay is defective
Thursday, April 23rd, 2009 AT 12:11 AM